Help with design

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Jacob

Re: Help with design

Post by Jacob »

What are video goggles?
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

By the way, how far down can a plain, converted bilge pump go to before leaking?
sthone

Post by sthone »

I've tested the Mayfair pumps down to a simulated depth of about 200' in a pressure chamber and while they didn't leak at that depth the drag the pressure creates on the shaft seal increases to the point where the draw of the motor goes up to unacceptable levels. My results can be seen at the bottom of this page. http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/mayfair750test.html

-Steve
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Do you think that the Mayfair pumps would be fine at 70'?
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Never mind the previous question. I checked out the article sthone, and it was very helpful. Also, I have zero experience with live feed cameras, and I want it to give me wireless feed. Anyone think this will work if I use it with a monitor? http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-8G-Wireless-M ... 43c30c5552
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

no, wireless doesn't work underwater.
You'll need a wired camera and run the signal up a tether wire.
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

Jacob wrote:Well, I guess you can tell how much of a novice I am, but that is really why I started asking questions. Am I right in thinking that arduino is basically a programable circuit board? Also, what is a USB host shield? And, is there any way in which I can receive live feed from my GoPro Hero 3+, besides the kit for sale on the 3d Robotics site? (it is a little bit out of my budget, as it sells for around $350.00)

I will probably be using one servo, and 8 bilge pumps on my design (one of which will be used on a dredge, and one on my thought for a retractable manipulator). Is any of this possible with arduino?

Thanks for your input!
I am sure you can, google some, you would probably want to send the live-feed over a coax cable.

With waterproofed control unit I meant simply that you build a box using a Arduino topside aswell. Hook it up to a screen, and use for example a USB host shield (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoUSBHostShield) with the usb host shield library (https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0) to get controller input and send down the teather to your ROV.
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

I know that one of you guys said that wireless video feed is impossible underwater, but I just couldn't give the idea up. Do you think this kit would work: (store.3drobotics/products/3dr-fpv-osd-kit) ? What about this one: (store.3drobotics.com/products/3dr-iris-plus-fpv-kit-for-gopro-hero) ?
If I chose the latter, do you think that the kit is dependant on the remote displayed in the picture?
Thanks for any input!
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

This is kind of urgent guys! I really need some input. I am really leaning towards the first camera set up I listed, but I want to know your opinions. Thanks.
TigerShark

Post by TigerShark »

That might work if you run a wire down to the ROV to act as an antennae but you likely won't pass a signal through water very far particularly saltwater. I have a small radio controlled submarine and it lost signal in a saltwater fish tank at about 12".

I think you could find a much cheaper wired solution.