Wiring relays

Other than control. (Navigation, Sonar, Ect.)
Rov85

Wiring relays

Post by Rov85 »

Hi all, I'm very new to this forum and building Rovs. I wondering if somebody can help me with the wiring on the relays on Steve how to section it may seem simple but i dont quite understand.

1. Can somebody tell me where the green common goes to up the tether and connects to ?
http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtorelaywiringdpdt.html

2. Also the common that connect the micro switches together on the joystick where does that connect in?
http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtojoystickdpdt.html

Is it a simple answer that I'm missing?

Hope somebody can help.

Cheers all
Rov85
thegadgetguy

Re: Wiring relays

Post by thegadgetguy »

Okay, I think I see you problem. The common in the first link is not the same common as in the second link. In the second link, "common" could also be called "ground". In the first link, "common" is something like 5 or 12 volts - basically some voltage that can drive the relays' coils.

Basically, current (conventional current) flows from the positive power source, down the tether via the green wire to the relays. Then, it flows through the coil of the relay, and back to the surface. However, it can only make this whole journey if once it gets to the surface, it can pass through the appropriate micro switch in the joystick and then on to ground, where it was trying to get to in the first place. If the micro switch is off, then no current can flow, and the relay is off. If the micro switch is activated, however, then the circuit is complete, and current can flow.

So basically, in the second link "common" is ground, and in the first link, common is some positive voltage that can power the coils in the relays. The specific voltage will depend on the relay you choose.

Well, I hope that helps somewhat. If you have any questions or need clarification, please ask. Their are many knowledgeable people on here who could answer your questions.