Props for vectored thrusters

Anything to do with Propulsion.
ltdcruze

Props for vectored thrusters

Post by ltdcruze »

After my last ROV, I discovered that vectored thrusters work best with equal forward and reverse thrust. The typical RC boat prop is curved in a way to maximize forward thrust sacrificing back thrust (that's why rc boats go fast forward but are REALLY slow backward.) This rules out boat props for vectored thruster use. My next consideration was using impellers, but they seem to draw a lot of amps, and I have 8 motors... After studying other vectored thruster ROVs such as the 2011 Purdue ROV Hybris I discovered their Seabotix thrusters use a 2 blade prop that is not curved. http://www.seahornet.org/files/images/t ... review.jpg

After searching I was unable to find any props like this for purchase. Does anyone know of any props like this that I could purchase?
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Re: Props for vectored thrusters

Post by KR2_Diving »

Looking at the pic you posted... i was reminded of those rubberband powered airplanes i use to get as a kid... a quick search confirmed that they are all usually 2 blade props... but the hub in the center is way to small... at least on the models i found. But maybe it is a good enough lead to trigger an idea from someone else!?

Here is what I found: Rubberband Airplanes
amarillo_rocket

Post by amarillo_rocket »

I wonder if you could modify a six bladed ducted fan prop. The 6 blade props have opposing blades. I'm not sure the pitch of the blades but it might be a solution.
jonnyhas

Post by jonnyhas »

I know this an old topic but I thought I might just start a debate if you have four thruster mounted in vectored position for fwd rev strafe, you can control this with only fwd control on each thruster as long as the rear one's are facing backwards, thus giving you maximum thrust in the reverse direction. Is this correct or am I missing something?