USB doesnt work over 50'. any ideas?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
freezway

USB doesnt work over 50'. any ideas?

Post by freezway »

Originally my plan was to run 2 USB connections over a 50' cat5e Ethernet cable (1 for control, 1 for webcam). Problem is I tryed it and it doesn't work. So now I need ideas on how to get webcam and control data to and from the ROV. I was thinking of using Ethernet and a switch in the ROV, but for that I'd have to get a ethernet shield for my arduino, a hub, and an IP camera. Any cheaper solutions you guys can think of?
AHarris

Re: USB doesnt work over 50'. any ideas?

Post by AHarris »

RCA to AV is what I am using, it is working fine at the moment however the only issue is it requires a camera with an AV output.
As for power, what everyone else is doing is connecting it to a car battery (or similar) and running it from that. As I have answered in another post a USB port doesn't provide enough power e.t.c. to get it over long distances, at short it only just supplies enough power but with voltage drop and a bad connection at the start it isn't the best method.
freezway

Post by freezway »

the usb would just be for data, no power. power would be supplied by a SLA battery or a 12AWG wire. I want to do somehting with higher res than RCA, but i might have to settle if there no other feasible option.
lostcaggy

Post by lostcaggy »

you can use adapters, that can transmit the usb data over a cat 5 ethernet cable, up to 150 feet, I've using one at the moment that's 30m, 90 feet.
Adapters are something like $15 off ebay

Regards
Martin
freezway

Post by freezway »

lostcaggy wrote:you can use adapters, that can transmit the usb data over a cat 5 ethernet cable, up to 150 feet, I've using one at the moment that's 30m, 90 feet.
Adapters are something like $15 off ebay

Regards
Martin
Not finding what your finding because all I'm finding is ethernet to USB (aka what you'd use to get internet to your computer via a USB connection).
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

They're usually called USB extenders or USB over CAT5. It sends the USB signal over ethernet wire.

Here's an example of one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

Hope it helps :)
freezway

Post by freezway »

Actually I came up with another idea:
instead of

Code: Select all

On Boat      |      Cables             |     on sub
=================================================================
Computer ----|  > USB > cat5 > USB >   |   arduino > motor controllers data
         \---|  > USB > cat5 > USB >   |   webcam
12v power ---|-------------------------|   motor controllers power
do:

Code: Select all

On boat                                           | Cables     |            On sub
=================================================================================================================
Computer > USB > Arduino > 8 wires (6 data, GND, +5v (not needed))>  |    cat5    |  > 8 wires > motor controllers data
Computer < RCA to USB converter ----------------------------------<  |  RCA video |  < camera (not webcam) video out
12v power -----------------------------------------------------------|------------|--  motor controller/camera power                    
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

So you are planning to have the arduino control the thruster's using motor controllers, as opposed to relays, if I am looking at this correctly. Do you have to worry about loss of signal with the arduino over longer distances, or is this not an issue?

What camera will you be using? Looks very nice overall.
lostcaggy

Post by lostcaggy »

I've implemented your first idea nearly,

shore/boat
computer - usb extender -- cat 5 - - ROV usb extender - Arduino - ESC to 4 motor + OSD and digital compass
computer - CCTV coax and psu for camera - ROV board camera

onboard batteries for motors
seperate battery for Arduino / osd and digital compass

Martin
freezway

Post by freezway »

thegadgetguy wrote:So you are planning to have the arduino control the thruster's using motor controllers, as opposed to relays, if I am looking at this correctly. Do you have to worry about loss of signal with the arduino over longer distances, or is this not an issue?

What camera will you be using? Looks very nice overall.
Yes, I'm using motor controllers not relays. They are simpler to wire. As for the signal loss I'll have enough power, and its just gunna be 2 on/off signals per motor (00/11 stop, 01 forward, 10 backwards) which require no timing, so as long as I get a little bit of power I'm fine. (I'm using 5206 H bridges).

As for the camera, I was thinking something along the lines of http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8739.
lostcaggy wrote:I've implemented your first idea nearly,

shore/boat
computer - usb extender -- cat 5 - - ROV usb extender - Arduino - ESC to 4 motor + OSD and digital compass
computer - CCTV coax and psu for camera - ROV board camera

onboard batteries for motors
seperate battery for Arduino / osd and digital compass

Martin
I was thinking about doing something like that, but I'm worried about the USB signal over 50'. I may have to use ethernet and and ethernet shield if I want the arduino down on the ROV for sensors and whatnot.

EDIT: oh, and the quotes tags dont seem to be working