Otter Boxes

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
Bored_Engineer

Otter Boxes

Post by Bored_Engineer »

Hello,
Has anyone used Otter Boxes as an electronics housing? I read on their website that they are rated for a 100 feet (SW?). Anyways, I thought about this, and the set-up Im thinking of would require several minor holes(for cables) to be drilled and at least one 3/4 to 1 inch diameter hole with a plexiglass window(for a camera) bolted on with an o-ring, would this disrupt the integrity of the crush-proof rating that much? thanks in advance.

cheers
ROV-Control

Re: Otter Boxes

Post by ROV-Control »

Have you tought about a camera housing made of pvc pipes? I mean they have a max depth rating about 200feet. An the electric components can be packed in an oil-filled plastic box.
Bored_Engineer

Post by Bored_Engineer »

Yeah, the current set-up I have is a PVC camera housing, and it works well but opening it up is a pain(threaded end caps with Teflon wrapping). I was looking at otter boxes for the easy opening clamping lids. I have heard of the oil filled compartment before, however I don't know what the long term effects on the electronics boards are, would mineral oil eventually have a negative effect? I like the idea, but I don't want to put a microcontroller or ARM board down there until I know more about the effects of different kinds of oils.
Thanks for the reply,
Cheers
ROV-Control

Post by ROV-Control »

We use a special hydraulic oil with a special water protection class. This syntatic oil has no effect when getting environment because it will decompose. We also recognizes no effect to pcb or any other electric component. May be the camera has no fun with it because of the optic. :D
Bored_Engineer

Post by Bored_Engineer »

Thanks, what is that oil called, could I order that somewhere? As for the camera housing, I designed a new one using PVC that is easier to open up if need be.
Cheers
ROV-Control

Post by ROV-Control »

I don't know the name of the oil. It is just a syntatic hydraulic oil for farming machines. You can ask in any tractor garage for it.
Bored_Engineer

Post by Bored_Engineer »

Ok, thanks!
Alaska Rov Systems

Post by Alaska Rov Systems »

I am happy to see that others have discovered my idea. I researched the web when I was deciding to put a video camera on my rov. I came across otter boxes and it was like bingo. I am going to use them for future projects. 8-)
SoakedinVancouver

Post by SoakedinVancouver »

About the bigger Pelican cases, these appear to have a compensation valve, can somebody confirm that if you close the box at atmosphere (surface), and then send it down to 75 feet deep, once you bring it back up, it is hard to open? Or does it leaks through the valve on the way back up?