Bilge Pump Max Depth

Anything to do with Propulsion.
fiveoversp

Re: Bilge Pump Max Depth

Post by fiveoversp »

I think i found a way to go deep, new topics in thrusters/fiveoversp. what do u think?
timothyalderson

Post by timothyalderson »

I was brainstorming and drew this out of boredom.Image
timothyalderson

Do keep in mind this is just a cheap and dirty version of the commercial ones with springs and diaphragms.
Unorthodox

Post by Unorthodox »

Or instead of an accumulator why not a piston exposed to the ambient pressure, the deeper you go the more force on the piston which is translated to the thrusters, just so you almost always have identical pressures in and out instead of your seals trying to hold oil in until you reach a similar or higher outside pressure?
timothyalderson

Ya that would work. I was just thinking. If the pressure inside is higher the oil goes out instead if water in. Leaks happen. I was just thinking out loud.
fiveoversp

Post by fiveoversp »

sorry i started a new thread on your topic, my son just told me what i did. this is my first time in a forum, I am also trying to build oil filled thrusters,with pressure equalization.any help would be appreciated.
Sea Searcher

Post by Sea Searcher »

Thanks for the good info.. I'm curious, how did you fill your thrusters with oil, and what kind of oil did you use? How far down have you tested them?
fluxno

Post by fluxno »

timothyalderson wrote:Ya that would work. I was just thinking. If the pressure inside is higher the oil goes out instead if water in. Leaks happen. I was just thinking out loud.
in commercial systems like this you pressurize the oil, and dont have any air in the system. and you have either a piston or an flexible hose that transfer the pressure an equalize it.
a small over-pressure inside of 0.1bar is enough for hobby projects.