Archerfish 1

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Tal

Re: Archerfish 1

Post by Tal »

Hey Scuba!

Great to see some progress on Archerfish1 :)

I really like the job you've done here! I see you've got your cat5? tether potted through (and opened up the insulation to ensure you don't get any water from the wire, into your WTC, if your tether is damaged)!! I need to make sure I remember to do the same :)

I was wondering, as I'm still such a beginner, what the connector's are planned for, as I assume the CAT5 will provide all your needs to the surface?? Some would be for the thrusters and sensors? but are the rest for redundancy or just to allow expansion if required? Either way, it looks fantastic and I look forward to seeing a pic of it screwed on to the main unit :) Great job!

P.s. Did you use a drill press to drill the Lexan?
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

Thanks for the boost Steven!

I have two drill presses and I used the smaller one while making this piece.

The four bigger connectors are main power and ground (so I can cut power without having to open it up)
Of the smaller connectors 12 are for thrusters and the other 8 are for possible expansion.
I can't imagine I'll actually need that many, but I didn't want to have to make one of these again for the lack of a few connections.
I have this fear of building myself into a corner and thereby limiting my uses for this rov.
I'm toying with the idea of a dredge in the future assuming I have sufficient power to lift the rov and whatever I might suck into a collection bin.
RedneckROV

Post by RedneckROV »

About what percentage to being complete would you say you are? Mine is currently "dead in the water" due to a sealing problem, I'm looking into using a pipe union in place of the main body. Once I have fixed that, I can put everything together as i have most of the other components already. I noticed your second design uses a dome from Harbor Freight, is it thick enough/strong enough to support the pressure?
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

RedneckROV wrote: I noticed your second design uses a dome from Harbor Freight, is it thick enough/strong enough to support the pressure?
I guess we're gonna find out!
I figure it probably is, The Guppy is just for pool use so I won't go deeper than 10 feet. What's that like 5 psi or something?
The real problem will be if I hit the side of the pool at depth.

As far as Archerfish goes, I'm probably half way done. I have most of my components, but I still have to sort out my control system and put it all together.
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

Since The Guppy seems to be wrapping up, I'm back to work on the Archerfish...that's kind of a stupid name.
Anyway, I took fluxno's advice and ordered a ppn to pwm converter from foxtech tonight.
Ideally I will be able to link it with my DX6i via trainer port.
I also got my new camera in the mail today as I reallocated the original one to The Guppy project.
I went with a sony ccd this time instead of the original cmos as I didn't care for the color washout it had under certain lighting conditions.
Oddly enough they look exactly the same on the outside...
I don't know what to make of that.
<><
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

got my ppn to pwm converter in today and am happy to report that it will indeed work off the trainer port on my dx6i.
that is a big relief. Now I have a bunch of wiring and stuff to do.
Back to work...
:D
scubersteve

Post by scubersteve »

My control board...
Pretty simple. Four ESCs, a camera, a ppm to pwm converter, a brushed esc for the lighting, and positive and negative buss bars.
Camera(35).jpg
Camera(35).jpg (246.6 KiB) Viewed 2255 times