D-ROV

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
puzzler300

D-ROV

Post by puzzler300 »

This is my first rov project and I'm very excited! this is really all i have so far, but i'm going to add motors and flotation. for thrusters I'm using 4 500gph bilge pump cartridges. and for the cameras im using a radio shack web cam. by the way the "d" in D-ROV is short for "W" for wilder's rov.
Attachments
Assembly1.jpg
Assembly1.jpg (117.43 KiB) Viewed 6440 times
reality. the tape is only temporary while i figure out where to mount every thing
reality. the tape is only temporary while i figure out where to mount every thing
blarggg 030.JPG (430.73 KiB) Viewed 6632 times
the autocaded model of my finished rov (hopefully)
the autocaded model of my finished rov (hopefully)
Image.jpg (22.36 KiB) Viewed 6632 times
Last edited by puzzler300 on Jan 18th, 2013, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puzzler300

Re: D-ROV

Post by puzzler300 »

Just an update:

I have redesigned the camera housing because my original was too leaky. I don't have any pictures yet but I do have a PDF drawing file that is pretty applicable for any housing.
Attachments
camera housing 2.pdf
(232.51 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
sthone

Post by sthone »

Looking good, if you have any problems with your new housing leaking you might want to add an o-ring in between the glass and the housing to form a better seal, (you might need to cut a groove for the o-ring but it night work without it too) when you screw on the cap the glass will compress the o-ring and should form a better seal.

-Steve :sting:
puzzler300

Post by puzzler300 »

Ok, cool thank, I'll be sure to do that.
sthone

Post by sthone »

One other thing.... (assuming your using PVC) be sure to wrap the threads of the end cap with at least 6 layers/windings of Teflon tape (or use some other kind of sealant) the threads of PVC are usually the cause of leaks in most PVC housings.

You also might have to experiment with your horizontal thruster angles, if you angle them to much the Rov will turn too quickly.

puzzler300

Post by puzzler300 »

Will plumber's tape work?
and about the thrusters, with my new camera housing it gives me more room to mount the motors more straight.
sthone

Post by sthone »

As long as it's meant for PVC I don't see why not. :D

puzzler300

Post by puzzler300 »

Update!

I've changed the orientation of the frame a bit, and changed the housing. the problem with the last housing was that it leaked a lot around the hatch. So This should be better. Hopefully. I've also been working on motors a little (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1050)

Another thing that I have discovered is the use of Shapelock plastic for my ROV. It heats up and becomes mold-able and then cools and hardens. it really is very nice, especially for water proofing.

Also, I have a friend who is very good at electronics and programming so we decided that we could use serial communication to control the ROV opposed to using switches. It would be excellent to be able to do this in order to keep the tether down to a reasonable size.
Attachments
IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG (271.22 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
IMG_0840.JPG
IMG_0840.JPG (362.1 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0837.JPG (647.53 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
puzzler300

Post by puzzler300 »

So after this year of inactivity, I've finally gotten back into the project. My plan is to use four 700 kv bell-type brushless motors, corresponding 30 Amp car ESCs, two Arduino Uno's (one on the surface and one on-board), a PS2 Shield/controller, and two RS485 shields. For display I'm using a 700 TVL board camera, two baluns, an old monitor screen, driver, and a BNC to VGA converter.

My entire goal for this ROV is to be able to reach a depth of 600'. That means combating 280 Pounds of pressure, therefore I'm trying to make the design as incompressible as possible. I'm potting my camera, so there will only be a tiny airspace between the lens and the clear piece of acrylic I'm going to epoxy it too. For a housing I'm using some four inch ABS pipe pieces and filling it with mineral oil. For power I'm using lipo batteries linked in parallel.

As of now, I have nearly all of my components except for the RS485 shield, LEDs, and a camera. The only thing I need to figure out is a final hardware configuration, how to water proof my lipos, and the Arduino code.

Oh, for a tether I'm using cat5e cable, two wires for the camera, two wires for the arduino.

http://www.robotshop.com/en/ps2-shield-arduino.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 700kv.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... verse.html
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... duct=13203
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-700TVL-1-3-C ... 566484392d
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12965

Forgot to mention, I did a bunch of kort tests, and honestly for how small and light my ROV is. I don't think I'll need one. I might print a couple off simply to keep the props out of weeds and such. If you want some though, give me an airfoil and your motor dimensions, I'll try and print you some.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1464&start=10
Attachments
My housing
My housing
Untitled.png (358.82 KiB) Viewed 5118 times
manip

Post by manip »

Looks great
I am also thinking about an arduino topside and one in the ROV. Maybe I can use your help to get them to talk togeter

what about your camera et the resolution ok.