Dutch Rov.

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
fryslan76

Dutch Rov.

Post by fryslan76 »

Oke I suck at drawing pictures on my pc. So do not laugh to hard.

In reality the two top motors are going to be placed at an angle so the can also cope with lateral forces in the future.

The lamp will be a dive tourch which I have at home (LED lots of light and a long burn time)
Attachments
Ontwerpje2.jpg
Ontwerpje2.jpg (27.62 KiB) Viewed 18554 times
bikerbones1968

Re: Dutch Rov.

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Step 1. you have a plan :D

There is a ton of great information on here.
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Even better my arduino, with 4 servos to act as ESC with brushless motors and a waterproof temprature sensor is on its way from Hongkong to my house. So I can start working on the electronics and connecting it to my PI. Plus I can make some educated guess about the size of all the stuff.

Cannot wait for the mail to arrive.
martinw

Post by martinw »

Drawing pictures is easy, making ROVs that work well and reliably is a lot harder ;)

I have a pretty picture of my "ROV to be" but that's about it really :(
Martins ROV.jpg
Martins ROV.jpg (99.38 KiB) Viewed 18461 times
Time will tell I suppose ......

Good luck with your build and I'm especially interested to hear how you get on with the PI 8-)

Martin
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Well drawing is for me a bigger issue then designing the rest almost ;) going down this road in the begining for the communications between PI and Arduino:
http://www.doctormonk.com/2012/07/raspb ... art-2.html

Still waiting on post :(
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Wednesday the goodies arrived from Hong Kong, so I have been tinkering a bit after work and managed to get a very basis system working. About every second the Arduino reeds the temperature and writes this to the serial monitor on my laptop. The serial monitor can also send keystrokes to the arduino to control the servo's indepenend of each other. Next task is to run it through the Raspberry Pi and put a small gui in front of it.
All the stuff on the breedboard was needed for the temperature senor, I did not have a 4K7 resistor only 1K and 220 ;) The two servos next to each other represent forward backwards and steering the other two represent the up and down motors.
Attachments
Basic control :)
Basic control :)
IMG_20130112_020451.jpg (447.07 KiB) Viewed 18327 times
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

The gui is taking form, some of the controls are allready working. Going to replace the sliders with a joystick or the mouse.
The log file screen and webcams are mock ups.
Attachments
interface_0_1.jpg
interface_0_1.jpg (208.96 KiB) Viewed 18229 times
amarillo_rocket

Post by amarillo_rocket »

Looks good. How difficult was it to get the Arduino to communicate with the Rasberry Pi? I have thought about a GUI front end for various monitors like depth, temperature, heading etc.... but have no experience with the Rasberry.
amarillo_rocket

Post by amarillo_rocket »

Looks good. How difficult was it to get the Arduino to communicate with the Rasberry Pi? I have thought about a GUI front end for various monitors like depth, temperature, heading etc.... but have no experience with the Rasberry.
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

For communication between the PI and Arduino, that is not very difficult. I used the Arduino GUI for linux to upload a program to the Arduino which listens to the serial bus for commands. Sending serial commands through the PI is no problem. See also the link I posted earlier. In the magpi online magazine a updated version is listed and some more details which can be handy.