Taking the plunge (!)

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
KDM

Re: Taking the plunge (!)

Post by KDM »

Just realised the potential 2600g bouyancy from my electronics bay. That's rather too much probably...
KDM

Post by KDM »

Yes, I've seen dual H-bridges on the one device warm up when they both run. This board appears to operate on eight seperate half-H bridge ICs (http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/12638.pdf if you're interested) spaced around the 70x100mm board. It has no heatsink and it doesn't get warm under load!
KDM

Post by KDM »

Also, slight change of direction on the topside controller. Java looked to be a right pain to interface. I've gone with GAMBAS. It's a Visual Basic style IDE for Linux. I really like it. Fantastically simple, even though Linux is almost completely new to me.

Here's the working control electronics. Batteries, motors, controller and Arduino Uno.
20140511_Electronics.JPG
20140511_Electronics.JPG (344.34 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Here's the PVC framework with the bouyancy compartments in place. these are made in firbeglass and filled with polyeurethane foam. Overkill, maybe, but if one gets a puncture, it'll not flood.
20140428_BouyancyChassis1.JPG
20140428_BouyancyChassis1.JPG (265 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
The bouyancy removed, showing the main electronics bay and the two forward drive motors and their mounting technique. Yes, they're drainpipe clamps. They're attached onto the chassis with brass M4 nuts and bolts.
20140428_MainBayOnChassis.JPG
20140428_MainBayOnChassis.JPG (434.79 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
And the cable entry point. This is a stock electrical gland, but I filled it up with silicone, and let it set before screwing down the cable clamp. I haven't pressure tested it, but it works in shallow water.
20140428_CableEntryPoint.JPG
20140428_CableEntryPoint.JPG (209.11 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Hi KDM. Hope you get into the water soon. After reading your post I had a look at GAMBAS - had not heard of this before. Some months back I looked at some other free BASIC programs but they were too limiting in function. GAMBAS appears much better in that regard. You said you were originally writing the topside application in Java. Just a couple of days ago I decided to change my topside approach from web browser and try out Processing. It seems to be able to do all I want.

Cheers,

Ross