Thru hull wire connectors

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
CLYON

Re: Thru hull wire connectors

Post by CLYON »

What does anybody know about these connectors? http://bulgin.co.uk/Products/Buccaneer/Buccaneer.html

One thing I want to make sure I have is a way to disconnect the tether and other things like the thrusters, so a underwater connector is something I really want to have. What are the cost in US$ on these types of connectors and what is a good source for them.

Chuck
Vertcnc

Post by Vertcnc »

I am not sure those would work very well. They have an IP68 rating tested to 10 Meters. It just depends on how you configuire wire connections. It appears that the seal is on the oustide jacket of the cable, which is ok if you have a connector on each end. But in my setup I have to seal the three wire from the ESC's to the motors. You would need some type of potted connector. Still looking myself, may have to manufacture my own.
For the cables that run between water tight compartments, I am going to use a piece of hose as a conduit per say. Then clamped to barbs.
I be sure to post if I find a solution.
fluxno

Post by fluxno »

Vertcnc wrote:I am not sure those would work very well. They have an IP68 rating tested to 10 Meters. It just depends on how you configuire wire connections. It appears that the seal is on the oustide jacket of the cable, which is ok if you have a connector on each end. But in my setup I have to seal the three wire from the ESC's to the motors. You would need some type of potted connector. Still looking myself, may have to manufacture my own.
how about using a connector in that style, but pot it on the cable side? you could also pot on the bulkhead to increase its sealing.
For the cables that run between water tight compartments, I am going to use a piece of hose as a conduit per say. Then clamped to barbs.
I be sure to post if I find a solution.
note that the pressure from waterdepth will compress the hose if its soft, and increase the pressure in the compartments. i've seen somewhere that some use hydraulic pipes with fittings to run wires inside, probably does not cost much, but could need some skills/tools in preparing the pipes and bending. for low pressures you could probably use soft copper pipes or stiff nylon hoses. your local hydraulics company could give you some guidance on prices and what they have available.