ROVER3D

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Zaibach

Re: ROVER3D

Post by Zaibach »

Looks cool and extra hydrodynamic :)
Wondering how beneficial you have found the streamlined body to be?
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Thanks for the info ROVER3D

Do you have any pictures showing what your battery compartment looks like?

Do you know if lipo's need to stay dry, or can they be submerged in oil? Can they withstand any pressure or does the battery enclosure need keep all pressure out.
ROVER3D

Post by ROVER3D »

thx Zaibach
Sorry i dont understand this...(and iam not allone ;-) )

I will take pictures of my ROV (and Accu)soon... first i will distribute the control-system.

Lipos are highly pressure stable. you can take it into a simple baggage with oil down to 1000m, noprob. I have filled my components in oil except cam so there is same pressure on all components so i can build it into selfmade acrylic cases .... easy going. 8-)
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Thank you for the info.
This makes things a lot easier!
I would really like if you could supply some information about what oil you use and how you pressure compensate your equipment.
I am guessing you charge it as one battery pack? (parallel charging)
ROVER3D

Post by ROVER3D »

Yes thats right... load it as one complete pack.

just normal silicon-oil. You will find it for latex and leather in your erotic-store :D

dont take any mineral-oil...
Zaibach

Post by Zaibach »

ROVER3D wrote:thx Zaibach
Sorry i dont understand this...(and iam not allone ;-) )
Oh I was just wondering if you had seen noticeable improvement with your hydrodynamic frame vs a skeletal PVC layout. I've just been seeing some sleek home built ROVs over the last few days and I'm really starting to mull over the idea of attempting it myself. Course I know I'm already biting off more than I can chew as is but I figure if I was going to even attempt it now would be the time to start inquiring around with people who have more experience than myself :)
ROVER3D

Post by ROVER3D »

Hey Zaibach,

ROVER3D was build to discover local lakes with many plants and inaccessible shore. So there will be many things to get caught up the rov. Because of that i build it hydrodynamic with inline-thusters. I can dive directly through the plants.. noprob.

Additional ROVER3D has no pivoted cam. To film something at the bottom i will set the ROV vertical and of course it can dive forwards with its vertical thrusters.

At last think about setting the rov into the water. if there is no landing-stage you had to set it into water by yourself. So a 50cm high ROV needs 60cm water. I can set out my ROV with normal Gumboots... for bigger ROVs you will need a boat or something else.

My plan was to operate with my rov where NOBODY will swim, dive or else so i can see an untouched underwater-world. The best things you will see in little and clear lakes. There is no landing-stage, no parking space and maybe no offical way to get to water. So I planned 100m cable to go out of my ROV-Control trailer to waterfront (and up to 600m for rov), but these places are the juwels for dive...
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Hi Rover3d.

I just wanted to ask if you did anything to your batteries before submerging them in oil? do they need any type of protection or preparation?
I am asking since I am getting close to doing it with mine :)
ROVER3D

Post by ROVER3D »

Hey olegodo,

You have to unpack the Lipopacks to be sure that there are no air holds it. I have the pack soldered to a solid connection to exclude loose connectors.
Else nothing to do with it.
Regards
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

Wow, I love it. You should seriously patent that. What's the maximum depth you have hit?