Change in Career

Kick back and discuss anything you want here. (Off Topic, Humor, ect.)
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Change in Career

Post by KR2_Diving »

Howdy all!
This message is really aimed at the members of this forum that have some professional background with ROV and Marine Technologies.

I have been thinking for a while now that perhaps a change in careers is in order. Has anyone every had any experience with schooling and professional training in ROVs?

In particular, I found a program in Scotland that looks quite interesting.
http://www.theunderwatercentre.co.uk/

Has anyone heard of this before? Good or bad?

Thanks,

Ryan "KR2_Diving"
martinw

Re: Change in Career

Post by martinw »

Hi Ryan,

I design ROVs and tooling for ROVs for a living and the ROV industry (operationally) is crying out for decent (technically minded) people, to become ROV pilots. The ROV industry as a whole is predicted to increase in size considerably in the next few years.

A good place to start looking is ROV World ....

http://www.rovworld.com/index.php

Martin
Dace

Re: Change in Career

Post by Dace »

I'm no rocket surgeon but I've been thinking about working in a research environment myself. I'm aiming at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute in Woods Hole Ma. (WHOI) The requirements are pretty stiff for EE's but if I can possibly show them that I have half a brain with my ROV building skillz yo, they may take pity on me. :lol:

I live only 40 mins from the cape and spend most all my summers down there fishing and vacationing and hanging around. I think I can maybe volunteer or do an internship first. I'll be hitting the tours they have this summer and hopefully be able to pick their brains a little about the ROV's and HOV's. Hey that's an idea. Build my own HOV!