ROV progress

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
bikerbones1968

Re: ROV progress

Post by bikerbones1968 »

LMAOROTF
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

FLUSHED lol :)
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Wait a minute, I think I got it !!!
SEA BONES
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Ok it has been a few days since I updated my progress or lack there of. Things in the shop did go to the back burner while I was doing some work at the Naval base in Halifax. I did get to pay a visit with Jim Camano owner of Auroa ROV's. He deals with Seabotix ROV's and I got to play with one of thier new units for a couple hours.

Also I have been working with Deep Trekker getting things set up and eveything in order as a dealer for them. I am really looking forward to having the new DTG2 ROV Pro delivered and landed here next week. It will be hard to ballance playing with a new ROV and working on my own but I am sure I will find time to get back to the build in the evenings. Today I managed to solder all my new EC5 connectors on the main board and battery leads. I must say that they are superior connectors to standard Deans style ones that I originally had. :D
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Here is a few pics of the new EC5 battery connectors. I was getting intermitent power loss from the factory deans style plugs so I cut them off and used these instead. To make my terminations for all batteries and ESC's I used a terminal strip salvaged from an old siemens system 3 fire alarm panel, a copper bar with holes drilled in it for the posts and soldered the terminal strip to the bar. The black residue on the back of the completed strip is from electrical tape I had around it for insulation.
EC5.jpg
EC5.jpg (59.63 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
terminal strip and copper bar.jpg
terminal strip and copper bar.jpg (45.49 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
terminal strip front.jpg
terminal strip front.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
terminal strip back.jpg
terminal strip back.jpg (37.64 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

A quick video of the 4 Lipo Battery Monitors. I am using 3S1P and each monitor reads every cell in the pack individually and then the total output voltage "ALL" This is going to look pretty cool through the aft end of the ROV seeing as it made with clear acrylic.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Your making progress, Im not :( Im kinda stuck in a holding pattern right now waiting on a digital scale. Then Its more boring thruster testing.... but might try a head to head with a brushless motor just to get a better feel of things, who nows, but I kinda enjoy the testing phase...
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

Really like the vid showing the lipo monitors. I was planning on a similar set up. Glad to know it looks alright! Are you mounting this in view of your onboard camera?
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

bikerbones1968 wrote:I decided to buy these ones from Hobby King. They are rated for 30 Amp and are Reversing Car ESC's for brushless motors.
I dont suppose you have tinkered with the power switch mounted to this? Is it a not voltage contactt, or some sort of 5v setup?
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

I was considering that but the bright red LED display while viewing with the low LUX camera is not good. These Lipo monitors have an audible alarm at low voltage and my camera has a built in mic so I think for now I will just feed the audio back to the surface on a spare pair to a set of desktop speakers or headphones. That way I can at least hear whats going on in the ROV, leak alarm and battery alarms. When I find the right OSD for the build I will probably get a battery voltage module and send both the leak alarm and battery alarm signals via the OSD. Not to mention with the OSD and the right digital tilt compenstated compass I can overlay heading, pressure, depth, temperature etc... on the screen too.