ROV progress

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
bikerbones1968

Re: ROV progress

Post by bikerbones1968 »

I decided to buy these ones from Hobby King. They are rated for 30 Amp and are Reversing Car ESC's for brushless motors.
Attachments
11742.jpg
11742.jpg (66.42 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

DavidF wrote:Somebody needs to come over here and slap me so I stop trying to find the hardest way of doing things. Nice looking thruster Bones, have you done any testing to see what they put out?? How about a video of them kicking up some waves??
It still kinda freaks me out though, running an electrical motor exposed underwater, I work in a water plant and it only takes a little bit of water to distroy our motors. But then agin they are a totally different beast.....
Thats the beautiful thing about these brushless motors and DC voltage. Water is not an issue. They are happy to run submerged without seals or in enclosures. Just wash them with fresh water, blow them dry with compressed air, apply a little moisture displacer and non conductive lubricant and your good to go.
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

KR2_Diving wrote:Great looking build so far! Can't wait to see more!

Two questions on the thrusters:
How are you mounting your motors?
What size ESC did you end up using?

I think we already talked about the ESC, but I have been doing so much research in the last few days it has all be come a bit of a blur!

Can't wait to see more!
Ryan
"KR2_Diving"
I will post that as soon as I have finished building the mounts. I have a few ideas but nothing carved in stone yet.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I was just about to pull the motor out of my grand daughters power wheels but I might be reconsidering now lol
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

DavidF wrote:I was just about to pull the motor out of my grand daughters power wheels but I might be reconsidering now lol
I am sure she will be pleased that you may have changed your mind on your motor source!! :lol:
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Ok I have been debateing on how best penetrate the Hull and maintain no leaks. Steves "Sealing Wire Exit Holes" http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtosealingwireexits.html slightly adapted I feel will be just the ticket.
Attachments
sealingwireexits5.jpg
sealingwireexits5.jpg (23.42 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

As long as the epoxy doesnt loose its seal to the pipe cap (shrinkage) it should work out. Maybe wax the inside of the pipe cap so you can pull the epoxy puck out machine an o ring grove on it and reinstall with a couple of bolts?? LOL thats me trying to find a more difficult way to do things... But I did find a 32 led flash light at HF for 6.00 that would be easy to modify for an rov
Attachments
phpYOJ3ZRAM.jpg
phpYOJ3ZRAM.jpg (43.45 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
php3EyaMsAM.jpg
php3EyaMsAM.jpg (44.53 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

The idea of using a threaded plug penetrating the Hull posed the possibility of leaks around the threads in my mind. I opted to do it slightly different. I cut a 2" PVC coupling in half and began to file, grind and sand down each of the halves. One to fit firmly on the exterior of the Hull and one on the interior. After I was happy with the fitment I roughed up the surfaces with 80 grit sand paper. Then I applied purple PVC primer and then grey PVC glue to both the Hull and "Potting Well". I used a cargo strap to apply downward force to the exterior "Potting Well".
Attachments
Glued and held with strap..JPG
Glued and held with strap..JPG (33.81 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
Last edited by bikerbones1968 on Sep 18th, 2012, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

I used a homemade mini jackpost made from a galvanized 1 1/2 " water pipe coupling and a PVC threaded reducer to apply upward pressure to the Interior "Potting Well".
Attachments
Mini Jack Post Tool.JPG
Mini Jack Post Tool.JPG (40.48 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

The finished product.
Exterior PVC Potting Well.JPG
Exterior PVC Potting Well.JPG (35.67 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
Attachments
Interior PVC Potting Well.jpg
Interior PVC Potting Well.jpg (26.02 KiB) Viewed 4053 times
Last edited by bikerbones1968 on Sep 18th, 2012, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.