My Lil Geek

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
rvanscotter

My Lil Geek

Post by rvanscotter »

My ROV project is basic PVC box frame with 4 thrusters. The hull will be an Ikelite 5710 camera body, holding the board camera, electronics, and batteries. The Hull will have two cross supports that mount to four post on the frame. The design seems fairly simple so we'll see how it goes.

My ROV:
Name: TBD
Chasis: PVC box frame
Hull: Ikelite 5710
Power: Lipo Batteries on board 2 5000mah or 3 4000mah
Thrusters: 4 total - 2 Rule 500 for for/aft and steering, 2 Rule 360 for Vertical, and the option for 1 Rule 360 for lateral
The motors are mounted to 2" PVC with a 1 7/8" prop - The PVC is shaped to create a smooth well protected thruster
Tether: 2 mini coax 1 for video, and one for shielded antenna extension / I may purchase real tether depending on the cost
Lighting: LED TBD
Control: 2.4ghz RC control / I do have an Arduino Uno but that's for phase two of my design
Camera: DX201 - 540 horizontal res with wide dynamic range sensor / and an external GoPro HD
Navigation: Eagle Tree OSD displaying battery power, consumption, and temp / and tilt compensated compass
Attachments
Missing the two vertical thrusters
Missing the two vertical thrusters
BVS_3740.jpg (327.07 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
sthone

Re: My Lil Geek

Post by sthone »

Your off to a great start, I really like your thruster mounts (and "The Abyss" reference too.)

-Steve 8-)
rvanscotter

Post by rvanscotter »

Finally got the hull and dome assembled, now I'm on the electronics of all. Ikelite Hull with a 3.5" dome from cleardomes.com, $240 for this.
Attachments
BVS_3770.JPG
BVS_3770.JPG (394.13 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
rvanscotter

Post by rvanscotter »

Close up
Attachments
BVS_3771.JPG
BVS_3771.JPG (473.7 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Hi rvanscotter, the camera dome on the enclosure looks fantastic!! What did you use for a seal between the faces?
rvanscotter

Post by rvanscotter »

I doubt the seal will hold up, but I used silicon. I put a very thin layer of silicone down first, then I put down a second wet layer down when I attached the dome. From the inside it looks like a complete seal. I also put down a seal on the outer edge. For my initial 100' test I figure it'll hold, thats as scientific as I get. The silicone will peel up so I can replace it with 3M Marine seal for a better seal.
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Simple test I have done is add enough weight to you enclosure to make it sink. Tether it and let it sink to your desired depth. Leave it for an hour and then haul it up. Crude but effective, you will know with out damaging any electronics if its good or not.