Cheap camera

Our Eye's under the water.
popeye

Cheap camera

Post by popeye »

Ok guys this is my first build and to be honest I am going so low tech it isn't even funny. My goal is 50ft. I don't really have a way to power my lap top besides the 2 hour battery power I might have while unplugged. and with each thing attached and running my lap top loses battery power faster. I understand that I can get a power inverter to run on the boat battery but right now I don't have the money to buy one.

Ok that being said this is what I need. I need a camera that has a live display to some kind of monitor. I can get a pretty cheap old style portable tv with rca hook ups that runs on 12v. the problem I am having is recording my dive. Is there a system that can record the dive and give me a live display for navigation without using a laptop computer? If so please please please give me some input. I need it low budget like a maximum of 50 dollars.
popeye

Re: Cheap camera

Post by popeye »

I have been looking a bunch online and I had a thought. What about using a backup camera from a car? They are powered by 12v and just need a monitor to view it. I have since discovered that my lap top battery would last long enough for about a 2 hour dive which for what i am planning on doing should work just fine.
james sowell

Post by james sowell »

ROVEnthusiast

Post by ROVEnthusiast »

Here is a good option:
http://www.harborfreight.com/general-me ... 95914.html
This is a 40 dollar camera set from harbor freight that has a ir color camera and includes a phone cable and adapters to transmit video through the phone cable (which is 80ft long). Since it is not waterproof, you would either need to pot the camera or build a housing for it (like it is shown on the how to section of homebuiltrovs.com). About video, it is a composite out and will work with most tv's in the world. If you want to send the video to your laptop and record it, you can use the $10 Easy cap video capture (google it) which is composite to USB and includes cheap recording software that actually provides decent footage.
ROVEnthusiast

Post by ROVEnthusiast »

I'm not sure if they are still on sale but the harbor freight cameras were only 29.99 because of a Father's Day sale this weekend (6/9/13).
deadlytredley

Post by deadlytredley »

Dumb question??? what power is required for the actual camera? I see it has a transformer(?) thingo that plugs into 240V,...do you chuck that part away and just wire in the camera at ???Volts?, and how do you send the footage to the surface?. Just asking cos I don't know yet, Cheers,...Deadly!
Zaibach

Post by Zaibach »

Looking at the manual online the adapter puts out 12VDC@200mA. So as long as you can supply a steady 12V with at least 200mA of current you should be good to go wall adapter or not.
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manual ... /95914.pdf

I actually have one of these laying around somewhere, I accidentally broke the RJ11 (phone) adapter tho. Wasn't sure if it was just a strait through or if there was any internal crossover so I put it on a shelf and sorta forgot about it. Was only using it at the time to try and figure out what was eating my garden >,< It says it has an 80ft cable and I won't disagree tho I have never measured it, it was far too short to go from my backyard to my TV comfortably. Which is actually how the adapter broke, sudden slack in the line ~.~

The RJ11 has just enough connectors to supply power in and receive a signal out through the AV breakouts. Which means if you use the stock cable you will need a separate cable to operate your ROV. On the plus side it should be easy to adapt into a build if that's the way you go. If your ROV has its power onboard and you only use the video line its only going to take up one line on an RJ40 (ethernet) cable.