Looking for recommendations.

Spot for your general beginner questions.
81D1

Looking for recommendations.

Post by 81D1 »

Hi!
Our Dive Rescue Team needs an ROV and I want to build a basic unit so I'm looking for my best course of action.
It will be used in local lakes and ponds (usually dark, turbid water) and sometimes in the Delaware River. I realize that the current will be a factor. Our SOP's dictate that we don't typically work below 80 ft. It will be used year-round. I'd like to include a compass and depth gauge in the camera's view.
I'm looking to build a simple unit with a camera (would I benefit much from an IR cam?), lights, and in the future a claw. Not necessarily to retrieve things, but just so it can grab onto evidence or a victim, and then allow us to dive to it following the tether, and recover.
I've built lights, a video housing and a dive scooter before so this should relate. Should I start with a kit, plans or just build?
Thanks in advance!

Harrison
martinw

Re: Looking for recommendations.

Post by martinw »

If current is a factor then you'll need something with a fair amount of thrust to stem the current whilst you're looking at, or trying to find what you're interested in.

http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/n ... l?d=242923

Martin
81D1

Re: Looking for recommendations.

Post by 81D1 »

Thank you for the article. Current is a factor, bit not a constant problem. Usually things don't tend to settle where there is a strong current.
Last night I realized that my old diy video housing would make a perfect vessel for batteries and the camera. It's 6" pvc and about 9" long with 3/4" plexi ends. I'll find a pic of it somewhere.
I can also cannibalize a trolling motor (maybe for the up/down?) from an old scooter project. I guess I'm saying that it's starting to become an onboard power unit.

Harrison