SlocumGlider

Any miscellaneous pieces and parts that don't fit in the above forums.
Java2

SlocumGlider

Post by Java2 »

Hi,

I don't now if anyone here has heard about the slocum glider? I think it's the coolest ROV ever! It has wings for stability,and doesn't use a motor for power. It moves along with bouancy changes. You should consider making something along this design!!
Rover

Re: SlocumGlider

Post by Rover »

I just watched the video of this AUV. Very cool.

With our ROV, when it is neutrally buoyant, just a slight change in weight will make it sink or rise. It would be interesting to see if one could design a system to control this to allow un-powered assent or decents. One way is a pneumatic piston with a small weight on the end of the shaft. When air is bled off on one side, the water would fill the opposite side pushing the weight forward causing a slight downward angle, adding air to the actuator would move the piston in the opposite direction forcing the water out and the weight would move aft shifting the balance point. (This would work for our ROV "ROVer" as we have air pressure available at the ROV.)

I know their is an AUV area to post AUV info, but this design could spark some ideas in our ROV designs when thinking about buoyancy control.

Jim