argh voltage problem

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
jonnyhas

argh voltage problem

Post by jonnyhas »

Hi Guys,

Just started testing my rov for the first time with the full 30m tether i seem to have run into a problem i am using 22 gauge speaker cable for power supply a a 4 core for the control & video (using a K8023) i am having what i describe as a pulsing problem when i switch the lights on at first these were 2 20w halogen's i did flood one and though initially this was the problem but it still hapened with one connected but not with any of them switched on i then changed it to a MR16 3w led light but again it happened and i think the pulsing blew the led as it dont work no more, i am thinking the voltage is dropping to low for the K8023 board when lights and 2 thrusters are working at the same time and this is swithcing it off then on again, to the educated people out there what do u think i should do? increase the voltage ie 24v or is there an other route, i have cable tied one of my dive torches to the rov but dont want this as a long term solution.

any comments would be greatly appreciated

from a very dreach Inverness

Jonnyhas
robe_uk

Re: argh voltage problem

Post by robe_uk »

Your cable size seems a bit thin to me, maybe try a heavier gauge power cable for less losses.

Rob
sthone

Post by sthone »

Are you controling the light directly with the K8023? (as in the light hooks directly to the board)

You should have the light (and or thrusters) wired to relays and then be controling the relay coils with the K8023. The K8023 can not handle that many amps, I think the outputs can only handle 100 Ma so if your not using relays that would be your problem. (don't ask me how I know all of this :oops: )

-Steve 8-)
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

I considered the vellamn k8023 setup initially. I did a lot of research on them and contacted the company before I went that route. Number one issue is the boards working voltage being 12vdc - 15vdc. But with your 30m cable and the guage you should be ok for voltage. Secondly the manual states tested to 50m but the technician I spoke to indictaed a usable signal on the single pair works best at no more than 10m. Maybe I am wrong here completeley. Hope someone that has one pipes up about the distance you can drive it.
jonnyhas

Post by jonnyhas »

thanks for your responses, Steve they are all running relays, also i got it wrong the power cable is 16 gauge not 22 :oops: , im going to strip all the electrical connections and check these first and also make sure my battery is fully charged! before i retry. will post some pics soon and maybe video if i get it to work!

cheers
jonny