RC transmission through tether

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
bikerbones1968

Re: RC transmission through tether

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Ok then your in buisness. Using the DSC the PPM data works on over 1000 feet. If you get stuck with programing etc let me know.

2.4 GHz Setup
Attachments
control.jpg
control.jpg (49.69 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Last edited by bikerbones1968 on Oct 3rd, 2012, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

mikec wrote:Unfortunately I can't do it that way as I need 4 wires for the data connection, two for the video, so only have two over.
Hmmmm 4 wires for data what are you using for control?
mikec

Post by mikec »

4 wires is the minimum for an ethernet connection. Although not yet implemented the plan is to have a number of on-board sensors connected to a micro computer
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Cool. I opted for DSC and one pair for control. One Pair for video. By using an OSD (On Screen Display) board on the ROV send all sensor data, leak monitor status, battery voltages and current draw, temp, Depth, compass heading and whatever else you can think overlayed on the disply topside. Four wires to do everything.
mikec

Post by mikec »

My control system is 3 12v ESC's for 5 motors (2 pairs +1) with the fourth channel as camera servo control. On-board battery which also drives the led lights.

Which OSD are you using? Thinking of getting one
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Sparkfun OSD breakout board.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9168
Attachments
OSD.jpg
OSD.jpg (115.83 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
mikec

Post by mikec »

Thanks for that link, I'll definitely look into getting one.

On the subject of control, I have found that I can get some reasonable control when holding the transmitter close to the tether up to a distance of about 30'. The length of the cable does appear therefore to be a factor (my tether is 40 metres at the moment) meaning I need a shorter tether or a means of boosting the signal.

What I'm also looking at is transmitting the ppm output from the trainer port directly through the cat 5 to an arduino but so far I get totally random numbers from the output. Is it possible or do I need to hack the receiver?
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

I am using the PPM data directly from the trainer port/ DSC port. No RF transmission at all.
mikec

Post by mikec »

Do you have some code for that?
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

I am not using Arduino. I am only using a RC TX. Signal runs over a single twisted pair comming directly off the DSC/Trainer Port. That signal feeds to the Rc RX that is located on the ROV. No arduino needed! I am not sure if any code has been written to translate PPM/PCM signal to something the Arduino would understand. There are a few guys here using various versions of Arduino that may know programming codes to do this. But if you are using an Arduino why not just use a PS2 controller for control and forget the RC TX and RX. There is already a library for PS2 controllers available for Arduino.