Looking for an easy way to control my ROV

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
bigdavevw

Looking for an easy way to control my ROV

Post by bigdavevw »

Hi guys, i,m looking to build my first ROV to explore mines/quarrys. I dont want to be messing about with circuit boards/programs etc, i just want good ol fashioned switches.

I,m after a system that will be really easy to build, maybe i will upgrade to a joy stick when i know a bit more about how it all works.

I,m planning on using a 12v tractor battery to control the ROV from the surface so the switches will need to be be quite heavy duty

Thanks
Dave
bikerbones1968

Re: Looking for an easy way to control my ROV

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Hi again Dave, you can't get any simpiler than to use DPDT (double pole double throw ) momentary switches. They are inexpensive and can be bought anywhere. Using them you can have full control forward and reverse up and down. Like these http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6-Pin-Toggle-DPD ... 1c1ef05145

The link below will take you to Steves main site where he details how they work.

http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtoswitch.html

Anthony
bigdavevw

Post by bigdavevw »

Thanks Anthony :)
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Your welcome :D
Saab340

Post by Saab340 »

How could I wire this if I have 7 hot lines and one common ground line, and only one ground and hot from the battery? The 7 power lines come from each of the 4 bilge pumps, 2 lights and 1 12vDC motor to turn my grabber arm. This one has been sumping me. I'm using 14 gauge wire due to the voltage drop and this is enough of a gauge for the depth I want to go.
soulreaper

Post by soulreaper »

I was going to use relays in my controller, but I used Normaly opened/ Normaly closed switches, instead. They are cheaper than relays. My controller has alot of buttons, but that is because my rov can move 8 directions.