Trying something Different....

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
bikerbones1968

Re: Trying something Different....

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Your miles ahead of me on your build. If lucky I will be finished by September. :o Wife has me run ragged with home repairs LOL.
:roll:
timothyalderson

Post by timothyalderson »

I have a new problem. When I added the hot wax, some seeped into the relays and coated the contacts. Not working now. Huhhhh
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

If you have a heat gun and a lot of patience you can re-melt the wax and drain it out. It takes a long time, but it works ;) . Good luck sorting out the trouble!
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

I read in another thread someone experienced the same issue with melting wax as some of the electronic components heated up. Sorry to hear about your troubles. :(

I am not sure what would be the best way to seal things up but I have been considering plasti kote or plasti dip, like the stuff you use to electrically insulate hand tools etc... If my linesman pliers or screw drivers are any indication on how it would work you can actually peel it off like an orange peel if you ever needed to remove it. Just a thought.

Anthony
timothyalderson

Ya I snagged the Old ladies hair dryer and melted it all back out. But now i'm probably going to have to replace all the relays and go it again. So close but so far. No biggie. Just money haha But I want to get it done so i can do a bottom drop and test it out.
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Were the relays the only things damaged?
timothyalderson

Yes. So far. The contacts are completely covered preventing contact. Something silly but enough to stop it cold. I am going to try heating them individually and holding them upside down to get the contacts clear then let them cool. Hopefully that works.
timothyalderson

The relays work. i can hear them all snap when powered. Just no current passing thru the contacts. So note to everyone. Make sure you seal the relays somehow before applying the wax.
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

Depending on how they're put together, you may be able to disassemble them and scrape the wax off of the contacts. I've taken them apart to replace burned out wires in a pinch, and their construction is pretty simple.
timothyalderson

I will take a look. Im fairly sure they come apart.