Trying something Different....

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
timothyalderson

Re: Trying something Different....

Post by timothyalderson »

Yes. The Standard foam worked fine. Make sure to use the wide gap foam though. I tried the standard and it just didn't seam to bond all that well. I started cutting the cavities and getting ready to set the resin and sand it. Ill get pictures when i can. Also you have to kind of stir and shake the foam to get most of the bubbles out.
timothyalderson

I ran across something today while I was out and about. I found a 3''x6''x12'' pvc foam block at a Florist! The foam is fairly sturdy. I'm pondering if two can be glued together to make a decent shape and formed that way. Its making me consider starting over before I get too far with the ok block I'm using now. I also got the DC motors, props and adapters, LED lights, and the camera finished. I have a second 1/2'' DELRIN frame I started a while ago i put on the back burner I might bring out of retirement and finish also. Two is better than one.
timothyalderson

Everyone should check this website out. They have a ton of stuff for RC Subs that would be great for ROVs!
http://www.rc-sub-workshop.com/
timothyalderson

Ok some progress. Found a 6''x9''12'' block. Extremely easy to cut, mold, and manipulate. I used a tapered cup and just pushed and rotated it and it burrowed until the taper locked into it and then it breaks off clean. The rest I used assorted spoons ans knives and a pencil i pulled the eraser out of to make holes for the electrical wires to run. I plan on putting an Epoxy on the out side like a shell and then sanding, priming, and painting it. I also found a nice glass bowl thing and a rubber end cap to seal it. I will put all the components in it and sealing it.
Attachments
photo(12).JPG
photo(12).JPG (98.54 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
photo(11).JPG
photo(11).JPG (88.75 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
photo(10).JPG
photo(10).JPG (97.83 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
photo(8).JPG
photo(8).JPG (91.48 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
photo(7).JPG
photo(7).JPG (105.01 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
photo(6).JPG
photo(6).JPG (89.92 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
photo(5).JPG
photo(5).JPG (104.9 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
photo(4).JPG
photo(4).JPG (91.85 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
photo(3).JPG
photo(3).JPG (94.34 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
photo(9).JPG
photo(9).JPG (129.39 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
timothyalderson

I also took a few pictures of the Delrin Frame I started a while ago.
Attachments
photo(16).JPG
photo(16).JPG (118.75 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
photo(15).JPG
photo(15).JPG (100.21 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
photo(14).JPG
photo(14).JPG (81.06 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
photo(13).JPG
photo(13).JPG (106.1 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
timothyalderson

Started brushing the resin on. It soaks into the surface slightly and locks in. Take a few coats to get a smooth surface but its turning out better then I thought. More pics when Its done.
timothyalderson

Update: I got the thrusters done. I did some testing with a new Prop and man does it put out some serious thrust. I dropped it into a full tub and when i powered it the whole thruster came out of the tub. Not exactly what I thought was going to happen. I used a 57MM 42 prop from offshore electric inc. Its a three blade high twist prop for race boats. I started with installing then the normal direction then for giggles tried the other way and that's when I got the surprise. I also received my dual relays. I will be wiring this thing up after I get the frame smoothed out and painted. I'm still not sure of a color. Maybe safety orange.
timothyalderson

Started getting the motors secured and mounted. I also decided to add toggle bolts to all the mounting locations. I just need to epoxy the holes in and secure. I also picked up a can of bright orange paint for the Hull. I started the control box also and will be finishing that and testing before paint.
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

What are you going to use for controls?
timothyalderson

Dual relays in the ROV and a basic Momentary switch for Dive and a Joystick. Super Basic.