Universal ROV control software?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Joe

Universal ROV control software?

Post by Joe »

Hey guys,
for a while now I've had an idea kicking around in my head for creating a "Universal ROV control" application for Windows XP or higher. The idea would be to write the application to take inputs from a joystick and create the proper outputs to be sent through a serial port or USB to Serial converter to the ROV.

The program would need to be customisable (?) by the user so they can set what the sticks/buttons/joysticks do. Also it would need to accept custom communication protocols so the user can adjust it to his/her needs.

The program would also display information received from the ROV, and perhaps down the road a ways it could use DirectX and display Video and Audio from a capture device with an HUD overlay (big compatibility issues to overcome on this one)...

I've always controlled my ROVs by writing software for a netbook, but not everybody has the knowledge/time to do this. So If I made such a program, and it was a free download, would anybody use it? If so, what features would you like to see?
derelicte

Re: Universal ROV control software?

Post by derelicte »

someone here has already started this, but pulled the code until after the mate competition passes.

I agree that a sw and hw package would be great for our hobby.
derelicte

Post by derelicte »

Joe

Post by Joe »

Hehehe... ok. At least I know it was a good idea then ;)
derelicte

Post by derelicte »

I'm all for it too. I'd love to see a solution so anyone can buy arduino(s), some motor controllers and run sw specifically designed for rovs. it would be great!