PAINT? for pvc...

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
Staples Build Team

PAINT? for pvc...

Post by Staples Build Team »

Hi all, i am just wondering if there is a specific kind of paint that i should use for my pvc frame... Im on quite a tight budget. Do i need a primer? is regular old spray paint the best option?

Thanks a bunch.
ERIEWRECKDIVER

Re: PAINT? for pvc...

Post by ERIEWRECKDIVER »

Steve used primer and then painted it.

From experience PVC doesn't hold paint very well. For that reason, I am not even going to bother with paint. But I am a function before form kind of guy.

As long as your ROV isn't in the sun for really long periods of time; (Months) it will not discolor. Paint thinner will remove the print if that is bothering you.
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

I painted my ROV yellow, and it definitely makes it look more professional. It's pretty easy to spot, too, except in bodies of water where there is lots of green/yellow particles floating in the water. Regular spray paint works pretty well, but I agree that paint just doesn't really stick to PVC. If you decide to go with a light color(like yellow) just make sure you get rid of the black writing on the PVC first, or prime, because it will show through until you have quite a few layers of paint on (personal experience speaking here).
sthone

Post by sthone »

I use normal spray paint, I scuff up the PVC first with sand paper so the paint sticks better, I also use a primer first. I did try Krylon Fusion for Plastic spray paint but didn't seem to cover very well (it was very translucent) so it would probably require a ton of coats.

-Steve 8-)
AHarris

Post by AHarris »

When I painted one of my fails I used enamel based spray paint. As with many others, it was a yellow which also helps with visibility. The only problem I had was when I came to paint ABS plastic, the enamel paint didn't seem to work on that without any prior treatement.
On PVC however, it worked fine!
maximillion

Post by maximillion »

I've used PlastiKote before, this primer is designed for plastic, then shoot your own paint over it.

http://www.plastikote.com/products/Prim ... rimer.html