simple swich for more channel functions?

Other than control. (Navigation, Sonar, Ect.)
Never prototype

simple swich for more channel functions?

Post by Never prototype »

I want to run my rov with a standard 2.4 ghz rc transmitter with the help of an antenna bouy. I would like to add more functions to my rov but I am running out of channels and I am not ready to go ardino unless it can easily fill this small role in my system.

I would like to use a swich to change modes on my rov/sub. In otherwords in normal operation I would use my controls to navigate and dive ect. But reserve one channel like the gear switch to change the functions of some channels to operate bow thrusters or manipulator after arriving at the target. I realize this is a tall order and may seem like a cumbersome system for you ardino users but I am open to suggestions and would appreciate any help from the forum.

Thanks for the beta.
derelicte

Re: simple swich for more channel functions?

Post by derelicte »

how many channels do you need? if you are set on the rc route, just buy a radio with more channels.

you can get a 9 channel radio for less than $100.
Never prototype

Fair point. But I am using a spectrum dx6 and the bouy is going to be carrying the satilite receiver which is not a feature found on most systems. You just made me think of an idea! Couldent you power all your servos onboard with a battery and just run the servo signal wires to a bouy and conect them to a waterproofed rx. Probably would need to include a small pair of wires to power the rx bringing the total number of conductors in the umbilical to like a dozen. Doable
derelicte

Post by derelicte »

I see. You already have a dx6. Got it.

The satellite rx in the buoy is an interesting idea. How long is your tether? I'm not sure long you could extend the satellite rx and expect it to work reliably.

Another possibility is to mount the rx in the rov and run the antenna out to the buoy. this way your tether is a single rf cable that is fairly easy to waterproof.
Never prototype

I read somewhere that simply making the antenna longer was a no no. Not sure why, somthing about the wavelength corresponding to antenna length. Remember what pre 2.4ghz antennas looked like? Fencing swords. Thanks for the input but I think I am going to scratch the extra functions, building my first rov has enough challanges. If I make it too complicated it might not get built. Besides the whole thing could sink from a rookie mistake and I wouldn't be too worried about bow thrusters then now would I?
derelicte

Post by derelicte »

if you look at a 2.4 ghz rx with a longish antenna (i.e. not one with a stubby antenna sticking out of it), you will see that the wire coming out actually is a small coax cable with just the last ~1.5" of exposed wire. the 1.5" section is the actual antenna.

like this:

you could do the same thing in the rov by extending the cable and just have the 1.5" section on the buoy.

or you could buy any rf cable and 2.4ghz antenna and mount it to the buoy, but you would need an adapter for the rx. at least one of my receivers has a connector for the antennas.
Seawolf

Post by Seawolf »

For what its worth, my ROVs have wireless routers onboard. I just run an antenna extension up to the surface and have the little antenna that comes on the router floating on a buoy. I've only tested it down to about 12', which is the depth of the swimming pool I'm using, but its been reliable so far. I'm not sure how deep you could go with a setup like this, but for shallow water its certainly possible.

Just a thought.

-Seawolf