Best system for a first time rov builder?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
bshey

Best system for a first time rov builder?

Post by bshey »

what is the best control system for someone who wants variable speed control and a bunch of different functions, but does not want to get into programming? Is there some sort of software that one can download (like steve's)? I would probably want to approach it from a rc hobby grade perspective in terms of electronic speed controllers and servos, since i have experience with that. thanks.
shaneb24

Re: Best system for a first time rov builder?

Post by shaneb24 »

if you use a RC remote and receiver and give the antenna its own line up the tether it will work just fine
Never prototype

Post by Never prototype »

I'm about elbow deep into a similar path with my rov/sub and I can tell you there are some challenges going that route. If you are going with an umbilical and many functions at depth use adino this article is a great resource
http://m.spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/ha ... rsea-robot
I 'm trying to build what is essentially a sub with a camera on it and I'm using a rc setup like you want to do. I ordered a wireless video transmitter and I'm going to try putting that and a spectrum receiver satellite on a bouy attached to the sub of course. Check out mikes subworks if you want to go this direction. I have a dxi 6 and I wish it was a dxi 14 for this build.

I bet you can put gimbals on an adino. You should look into that.
Alaska Rov Systems

Post by Alaska Rov Systems »

Yeah I have also decided that if i was going to do a camera system, I would go with a wireless camera and attach a wire from the antenna on the camera and have it go to a buoy on the surface, hence what we discussed over the phone. I believe this would work but of course have not tested it yet.

Alex

Alaska ROV Systems
derelicte

Post by derelicte »

I've been toying with the antenna on the buoy idea for my next build too. however I plan on using wifi, not rc and wireless video.

one disadvantage to the wireless approach is you lose a nice safety feature inherent with a tether - the ability to recover the rov in the event of a failure, low battery, strong current, etc.

For a recovery solution, I was thinking of using something like a fishing rod attached to the buoy as an emergency recover mechanism.
Alaska Rov Systems

Post by Alaska Rov Systems »

Funny that you mentioned recovery, I was thinking of attaching a piece of strong fishing line to the corner on the frame to recover the ROV. In the case of complete failure, I would reel in the fishing line and retrieve it.

Alex Stuart

Alaska ROV Systems
Never prototype

Post by Never prototype »

Mikes subworks and other rc sub sites carry really cool failsafe circuits that operate a servo or in my case a ballast pump in case of signal loss. Less than 15 bucks and they don't take an extra channel either, a must have.