Some light

Illuminating the Abyss.
manhattan

Some light

Post by manhattan »

Dreadful winter in Europe is preventing me to do a proper ROV test in lake, so I am a bit bored atm. and playing with light. While I am waiting for CREE diodes to arrive (I will try to drive them on 2A for approx 2000 lumens :o ) I collected some lights I found in house and did a basic test. Don’t know if it’s at all useful but anyway.

My favorite pick (the one I potted and mounted on ROV) is the 2.8w LED. I really liked that light (until tonight) it was very bright in the house and I potted it without optics. Now I see that I need a focus lens on it to be useful :x . I guess it can always serve as a diffuser in front with proper spot LEDs on the sides of ROV.

All these lights are fairly easy to waterproof one way or another.
Attachments
LED Test.jpg
LED Test.jpg (161.84 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
AHarris

Re: Some light

Post by AHarris »

Thanks for sharing this, this chart shall be extremelly helpful in my ROV.

I have nevered heard of CREE diodes before and when doing a quick google search I came up with little?
What exactly does the CREE stand for?

Thanks
manhattan

Post by manhattan »

Hi,
Think CREE is company abbreviation for “Creative Resource & Energy Efficiency” not sure its them though.
I decided not to use any of the lights on the chart but to build my own, based on Cree. Currently the top LED
is the CREE XM-L diode (first from left) which can be driven at 3A producing ridicules amount of light

The big one is a 50W LED and the light is just insane (around 4000 lumens on less then 2A) but it is too difficult
to keep cool (+ it needs 30+ v). That one will have to wait for another project. The winner (for me) was the
3 up Indus Star, (2nd form right) driven at 1A it produces a beautiful clean light +1000 lumens.
You can get it from:
http://www.ledsupply.com/indusstar-3up.php.

I know XM-L is more powerful but the star gave the best lumens/watt and is fairly easy to waterproof.

Best
Attachments
LED.jpg
LED.jpg (741.23 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
AHarris

Post by AHarris »

Thanks, I shall check them out when I come to adding the lights on my project.