Pan, Tilt and Roll

Our Eye's under the water.
thegadgetguy

Re: Pan, Tilt and Roll

Post by thegadgetguy »

Not really a problem, more of an oddity. How deep do you plan to go? I must say, your pan/tilt/roll assembly would not look terribly large compared to that dome! You certainly wouldn't have any trouble fitting it in there.
derelicte

Post by derelicte »

other than the massive volume and having to push more water out of the way, there isn't a problem. it is just a bigger rov than I've seen for a diy rov.

keep at it and let us know how it works!
Mareike

Post by Mareike »

LOL, I also had a bit of a gentle eye with my measurements. My rov is becoming 55x55x85 cm and I get now already the feeling to plunder a scrapyard for the weight. my electronic tank is 200mm and 750 mm long..
I use as flat 6mm plexi window with 2 gaskets and a flange, tighten with stud bolts.. A dome was my dream but here in Thailand almost not to get..
but your design looks quite professional. I just started to make my Pan/Tilt from Aluminium Angle Bars and a Dremel to work out the gaps and holes.. Looks you must be proud owner of some nice milling machines to do a mechanic like that..
Very nice...
Mareike
gumma

Post by gumma »

If that camera mount is 20 cm high, the dome will be about 40cm in diameter. According to that the ROV would be AT LEAST 50cm*50cm*80cm. MINIMUM weight for that ROV is 200 kg. Get it?!
derelicte

Post by derelicte »

he stated the dome was 225mm in diameter.
gumma

Post by gumma »

sorr..
Maximus Rumpas

Post by Maximus Rumpas »

Hi All,

I agree that dome is very large, too large. It reduced to 200mm when, on the advice of forum members, I took out the roll function, but as Derelicte pointed out that’s not much of a saving.

On reflection I would have been better of starting from working out the amount of camera movement require to provide an all-round view. I was surprised that I only need 45 degrees of travel in the vertical and up to 30 in the horizontal. Much less that I had imagined.

The images below show the field of vision from the camera at an angle of 90 and at wide angle 170 degrees, 1080 HD. The dome in the pictures has an outside dimension of 200mm. I don’t want to go any smaller because the pressure chamber to which it is to be fitted has to contain a lot of equipment.

Mareike – The servo exoskeleton was purchased from ServoCity.

GadgetGuy asked how deep I plan to dive the vehicle – 100 meters but perhaps up to 150.

What thickness of acrylic plastic would the forum recommend for a 200mm dome at 100/150 meters?
Attachments
Dome1.jpg
Dome1.jpg (150.01 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Dome2.jpg
Dome2.jpg (189.6 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Dome3.jpg
Dome3.jpg (199.4 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Dome4.jpg
Dome4.jpg (257.37 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Dome5.jpg
Dome5.jpg (307.05 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Mareike

Post by Mareike »

A shop here in Thailand calculated for a disc window from plexi 6mm for going 200m.
Silver dollar

Post by Silver dollar »

Mareike wrote:A shop here in Thailand calculated for a disc window from plexi 6mm for going 200m.
What diameter did they calculate with? A small window is stronger than a bigger one.
thamlin

Post by thamlin »

I love the design you came up with maximus, maybe after my first trials and errors i may go to something like that. Thanks for the info on the domes by the way, i did a little research on the net. actually a lot, and did finally find a place that can produce them. I waiting on a email back from them now.