turtles rov

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
m_g

Re: turtles rov

Post by m_g »

Awesome looking rov! Just curious, will you be potting the cable glands or will they be ok on their own? I am using cable glands in my design but I assumed I would have to pot the seal somehow to be sure of their waterproofing
turtle

Post by turtle »

m_g wrote:Awesome looking rov! Just curious, will you be potting the cable glands or will they be ok on their own? I am using cable glands in my design but I assumed I would have to pot the seal somehow to be sure of their waterproofing
hi i used some epoxy on the thread into the rov. i have just used some silicon where the cable enters and it seems to be ok, the seals seem watertight as they are tho.
adam
aquajack

Post by aquajack »

What brand cable connectors do you use?
turtle

Post by turtle »

aquajack wrote:What brand cable connectors do you use?
hi they didnt have a brand name they just said 12mm gland on the packet, you can get them in steel aswell but i didnt want them to rust. i must pull my finger out and get this finished lol, i will put some more updates up soon.
adam
turtle

Post by turtle »

long time since i last updated, i have been having problems with the camera so i have ordered a mini dvr recorder and camera. the camera has a 2.5mm jack that plugs into the dvr and the batts are said to last a couple of hours. if they do it will make this a lot easyer to use and carry about. i will do a review when i get it some time this week i hope.
the tether has been my biggest headache so far, cat 5 works but is a pain in the ass lol. i am still looking for a cheap diy fix for this but i am going to try and make my own. and i have found that this rov is to big for what i need as most of the ponds by me are only a couple of feet deep. so i am making another one but very small.
adam
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Adam,

Cool design. I like it.

No place but shallow ponds around you though? That could be a problem. :)

Let me know the dimensions on those printed parts you need and I'll see what I can do.

Mike
turtle

Post by turtle »

done a quick camera test, i had it set on the lowest setting as i need a memory card, it was 25fps.
the pond was 4ft deep and i had no lights. it was on a 10m length of cat5, the battery lasted about 1 1/2 hours and i didn't have it fully charged. i was surprised it worked on a 10m cable the camera is only 5v, i had a buzz on the mic aswell. my next test will be high def and a pair of light. i powered the lights and my battery went dead in about 2 mins so i am going to swap them for leds so i can use a smaller battery pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch45vWFGdqM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvvDjmxzoYM

edit: the resolution was on 320x 420 aswell so the vids are really crappy lol. i have just ordered myself a couple of sd cards for it.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Hi Turtle,

Yeah looks like visibility is really limited there. Sometimes here on the Jersey Shore sometimes visibility is about the end of your arm.

Not much to see in those vids, but it's good that you were able to get wet and complete the missions, right?
turtle

Post by turtle »

hi a_shorething it was more of a test to see if it could power the camera over 10m.

i had a go at making some led lights on the cheap.
i bought 2 of these off ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121163969493? ... 1497.l2649

i cut the reflector down to fit in a 40mm pipe fitting.
Image[/URL]

then i cut the circuit board to fit aswell and then joined the tracks i had cut.
Image[/URL]

fitted into tube

Image[/URL]

i bought some 50mm discs clear acrylic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261188991645? ... 1497.l2649

and fitted it all together, i just have to fit it to the rov now and test it out

Image[/URL]
turtle

Post by turtle »

hi all i am selling this rov if anyone is interested for £50 with all the bits i have for it. don't no how much it would be to post. you will need to finish it off but theres not much to do. only selling as i have come across an already made rov that just needs a few parts.
adam