turtles rov

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
turtle

Re: turtles rov

Post by turtle »

i have just found out my lcd screen has a fault, dont no why but its now in the bin. so i have a easycap usb capture thing that i might use with a laptop for viewing the video on land. the camera iam using has hd recording so all i need is to see where its going iam going to give it a try in the bath tub lol.
adam
thamlin

Post by thamlin »

I was wondering why your choice of florescent lighting when led's have come down in price, and they are cool to the touch when on, florescents get so hot when running. I guess i would be worried about them melting the seals or even the houseing. Has anyone had that problem before? Im just at the beginning of my build, so thought i would ask anyways

tim
turtle

Post by turtle »

thamlin wrote:I was wondering why your choice of florescent lighting when led's have come down in price, and they are cool to the touch when on, florescents get so hot when running. I guess i would be worried about them melting the seals or even the houseing. Has anyone had that problem before? Im just at the beginning of my build, so thought i would ask anyways

tim
ive found that the led lights are just as cheap as the one i have but the light off them are no where near as good. the water
should cool them i think lol. but if not i will have to go over to leds.
adam

edit: there going to be on a dimmer aswell so i dont no if i will need to run them at full power all the time.
adam
Last edited by turtle on Jan 24th, 2012, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turtle

Post by turtle »

i polished the skids today when i was bored. and i have tested it in the bath it does have a small leak so i will have to weld it up tomorrow then take it for powder coating, iam hoping to have it back b next week so i can start fitting all the bits to it for the last time.
adam

derelicte

Post by derelicte »

man, that thing is a beaut! I'm extremely jealous of your fabrication and machining skillz. not to mention all the cool tools used in the process!

depending on how much labor you have in the frame, you might be able to sell a few of those to pay for your hobby. depending on the cost, I might be tempted...
turtle

Post by turtle »

derelicte wrote:man, that thing is a beaut! I'm extremely jealous of your fabrication and machining skillz. not to mention all the cool tools used in the process!

depending on how much labor you have in the frame, you might be able to sell a few of those to pay for your hobby. depending on the cost, I might be tempted...

hi thanks

this has been made in my lunch time at work so its been really rushed and isnt the best to be honest, . i wouldnt make it like this again tho its been a pain in the arse lol. next time iam going to make everything screw fit so i can take things apart fast. and so i can screw the front lens on and off for easy access. but for now this will be ok just to test and have a mess about.
adam
turtle

Post by turtle »

dropped it off around the powder coaters today so should have it back next week :D
adam
turtle

Post by turtle »

got it back really quick, looks really good aswell. now i can start fitting all the bits.

derelicte

Post by derelicte »

looks fantastic!

how are you going to control the buoyancy?
turtle

Post by turtle »

derelicte wrote:looks fantastic!

how are you going to control the buoyancy?
thanks
i was thinking of drilling a bar with a load of holes down it onto the bottom of the skids and making some 50x10mm solid discs so i can bolt on and off the weights as i need them, also i made the skid out of 15mm solid stainless bar for a bit of weight so i hope i dont need a load on the bottom. when i tested it on the bath with no camera or bits in it sat about half way down.
but i havent put the motors on yet as i still have to lathe some bits for the seals to fit into, so it will have 2 extra buoyancy chambers on the sides.
ive still a load to do to i still have to work a way to seal the cable from the motors to the main chamber yet then make a small flap for the usb cable so i can download the video from it. because the camera i have records in hd but outputs in av. and i have to mod the camera so i can turn it on and off aswell as the remote only starts and stops it.
adam