Housing - Camera, Control Board, Ballast Control System

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
dahai

Housing - Camera, Control Board, Ballast Control System

Post by dahai »

Hello All,

Before I say anything, I must commend the many members of this forum: GREAT WORK!

I am currently designing my first ROV.

It is meant to be a 'small' ROV, with max operating depth of 100'.

I have several questions regarding housing of the controller board(s), camera, and ballast system:

ROV 'On-Board' Hardware:
- ethernet IP camera running direct feed to Topside via Tether
- Arduino microcontroller (TBD) - send/receive via CAT5 Tether
- Compressed Air Tank & Ballast Control Solenoid System

Camera & Microcontroller:
- Is signal attentuation common over CAT5 cable at 100' depth?
-- If yes, how can I amplify the signal going both ways - top->bottom / bottom->top?

Buoyancy / Ballast System:
- I plan on using reinforced rubber hosing that is run/looped through the ROV's top-structure - composed of PVC pipe.
-- The PVC will be perforated (drilled holes), and the rubber hosing will be fitted with a solenoid air input at one end, and a 'blow' solenoid valve with accompany intake check valve at the other end
--- Picture a coil of hose, maybe 3 times coiled over, with the fittings on either end.

Any thoughts & ideas regarding those descriptions are welcome & invited.

QUESTIONS:

- Where can I find clear polycarbonate or acrylic cylinders / tubing to house my camera?
- Where can I find sealed LED lamps for 100' depth illumination?
- How can I seal my wiring to ensure no water enters my control & camera housing?

For clarification, this ROV will have 2 thrusters (L&R, with forward & reverse), 1 live feed camera, a ballast system with 2x2 way solenoids or some similar configuration, and 1-2 barometric pressure sensors.
ltdcruze

Re: Housing - Camera, Control Board, Ballast Control System

Post by ltdcruze »

I don't think your ballast tanks will hold up to 100'. You can use Mcmaster Carr to order any part/material imaginable. mcmaster.com
timothyalderson

Re: Housing - Camera, Control Board, Ballast Control System

Post by timothyalderson »

Try rc-sub-workshop.com