compressed air tanks

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Octonaught1

compressed air tanks

Post by Octonaught1 »

Hi everyone,

I am designing an ROV which will be using ballast tank(s) instead of thrusters. I am thinking of using compressed air rather than co2 (mainly for compatability wth diving systems, but alsl because I understand it's more stable) with a reducing valve.

People have mentioned the use of paintball gun tanks. Does anyone have any reccommendations along the lines of any which are better than others?

Ideally I would like to be able to refill the tank in a simioar way to how divers replenish their air supply.
robe_uk

Re: compressed air tanks

Post by robe_uk »

hi
while i can't recommend any particular brand of paintball bottle I think it sounds a good idea, I had considered using air for ballast control and as I scuba dive had thought of using my 3ltr bail out tank but for the size ROV i am interested in thought this tank was too large, but the paintball tank at 0.8ltr is a smaller option.

Anyway, if you do go for the paintball tank and have concerns about refilling it you can do what the paintball gun hardcore crowd do and have a 12ltr scuba tank which with the correct fittings you can use to refill the paintball tank, once the scuba tank gets to a stage that it needs refilled you can take it along to your local scuba dive shop and they will fill it. Note that scuba tanks are subject to regular inspections which have to be current for the dive shop to fill your tank, not really a biggy though.

Good luck

ps, just reread your post and see you mean to move the rov with the compressed air, would a paintball 0.8ltr tank give much running time?
Octonaught1

Post by Octonaught1 »

Thanks robes_uk,

At this stage I have no idea how much running time .8l would give, but if necessary I might get two and hook em up together.
Unorthodox

Post by Unorthodox »

Yeah some clarification would be good.

One think to keep in mind about using compressed gas for ballast (or propulsion?) is the change in trim and ballast as the tank discharges. If any of the gas liquefies (CO2 sometimes, and Propane usually) in the tank then it could roll around and throw off your trim, and then you lose density as you exhaust the gas.