Spartan ROV

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
ltdcruze

Re: Spartan ROV

Post by ltdcruze »

thegadgetguy wrote:Are you using vectored thrusters, or are you going for the standard two thruster approach?
We are going to use vectored thrusters.
derelicte wrote:
ltdcruze wrote:Thanks for the input. I'll get started on coding an Xbox controller to work as soon as we get a wired controller or a plug n play for a wireless. It looks pretty easy to do with XNA. Are you waiting for 2012 MATE rules before you come up with an arm design like us?
that layout looks fine. you may find a better layout once you get the rov in the water and start to use it. I did.

our rov is purely to play with in our pool so we don't have a need for an arm. maybe in a few years when my kids get older we'll think about mate.

it is documented here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=444
Nice ROV. I think I am going to use the expandable sleeving you used.
derelicte

Post by derelicte »

thanks!

you might want to buy a few different sizes. the size that I used results in a less than flexible tether, but it works. If I were to do it again, I'd buy the next size up.
cjstepney

Post by cjstepney »

Ok, I have a question, please message me back through the messaging system.

What webcam would you use?
ltdcruze

Post by ltdcruze »

Sorry about not updating the thread in a while. I have been really busy lately. I am glad to post a few updates. The frame and arm are designed. I have managed to use brushless motors instead of bilge pumps (hooray!) Currently my tether consists of 2 power cables and a cat5 cable. My frame doesn't use PVC, or any sort of tubing for that matter, which leads to a question. What foam can i use to make my ROV positively buoyant? I would like something flat and easy to cut with a dremel. Currently I am making a metal detector attachment for my arm.
Silver dollar

Post by Silver dollar »

Foam will implode from the water pressure and loose boyancy. It must have a hard shell that can withstand the pressure. So I suggest PVC pipes, which is easy to work with and cheap.
ltdcruze

Post by ltdcruze »

How do professional rovs do it?
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

Most professional ROVs use syntactic foam. It's a special type of foam that doesn't implode under pressure, as Silver dollar mentioned earlier. There are two basic types of foam - open cell and closed cell. In open cell, all the gas "bubbles" are connected to each other, allowing water to pass through them - an example would be a sponge. In closed cell foam, the bubbles aren't connected to one another, so water cannot pass through them. If you want to use foam, you just have to find a closed cell type with enough strength for your planned depth.
ltdcruze

Post by ltdcruze »

Do you think this might be able to do it?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... M590088601
Seems like closed cell foam is commonly used in home insulation.
ltdcruze

Post by ltdcruze »

Laser cut frame. Still waiting for a few more parts to be shipped. Hopefully I'll have it assembled by Wednesday.
Attachments
rovframe.jpg
rovframe.jpg (41.29 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
ltdcruze

Post by ltdcruze »

Been a bit busy lately, but finally got some time to update my ROV.
Attachments
20120730_143821.jpg
20120730_143821.jpg (208.35 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
20120726_195719.jpg
20120726_195719.jpg (227.07 KiB) Viewed 2683 times