New ROV downunder

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Stuart in OZ

New ROV downunder

Post by Stuart in OZ »

HI..

I have stated mocking up my ROV.

Some stats.
Frame is made from 15mm pvc pipe and fittings
It will have 3 thrusters (modified 1100gph), I will be mounting all 3 in the center of the ROV, by doing so I think this will make so it can spin on your own axis aswell as move forward and back, the up/down thruster will be mounted dead center of the ROV.
Floats will be 90 mm pvc pipe with end caps place acrosse the ROV, front and back. I will adjust these to balance the ROV before fixing to the frame.

Camera and light have not been worked out yet but I'm think of using a pvc ubion joint and LEDs mounted in an end cap as per Steve's aux set up.
Tether will be 100 meters of cat5 with 2, 2 core wires, one for power and the other for the camera feed. Cat5 will be for controls.
Control box will be joystick and switches for the drive, lights and power with fuse.
P280911_1431.jpg
P280911_1431.jpg (34.38 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
P280911_1432.jpg
P280911_1432.jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
P280911_1433.jpg
P280911_1433.jpg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
P280911_1434.jpg
P280911_1434.jpg (33.32 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
The rest I will workout as I go.

Comments welcome.

Thanks
Stuart
one mere mortal

Re: New ROV downunder

Post by one mere mortal »

Stuart, One of the best ways that I shortened the learning curve on the design process was to watch every YouTube video of homemade ROVs I could find. Pay close attention to the balanced symmetry of the frame and thruster placement. (watch closely when the thrusters turn on) There was one video that struck me with the economical use of PVC. What I mean is the frame used the bare minimum of structure to support what was needed, no useless additional PVC structure.
So as I proceed with my ROV (I'm at the same point as you in the mockup stage) I always try to streamline and reduce the frame; keep the center of gravity point as low as possible and centered on the frame; and think in terms of water flowing over and around the frame or conversely the frame moving through the water.
I guess my design really got its jump off from the video I saw on YouTube. I didn't have to reinvent the wheel, I saw a frame design that moved cleanly through the water and started there. I also saw plenty of big bulky designs that worked but seemed to lack the real clean lines that seemed with further refinement could be achieved ( for instance, the wiring just zip tied to the outside of the frame instead of enclosing all wiring inside the frame.) I don't know....these are the things that are bouncing around in my thought process. Good luck ! 8-)