New controller board discussion

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
derelicte

Re: New controller board discussion

Post by derelicte »

chriskon149 wrote:Also, two Arduinos should be able to communicate over UDP using Ethernet shields, if that is what you're interested in, without the need for a computer in between them. That should (correct me if I'm wrong) let you use a longer tether than serial.

Chris K
sort of. differential serial (rs-422/485) can operate up to 1200m. ethernet's twisted pair limit is 100m. rs-232's practical limit is probably around 50' or so.

however for the lengths we are talking about for our purposes (say 100 - 300'), either interface is fine. but serial is far simpler and less expensive.
chriskon149

Re: New controller board discussion

Post by chriskon149 »

sort of. differential serial (rs-422/485) can operate up to 1200m. ethernet's twisted pair limit is 100m. rs-232's practical limit is probably around 50' or so.

however for the lengths we are talking about for our purposes (say 100 - 300'), either interface is fine. but serial is far simpler and less expensive.
Ahhhh. Thank you for those specs. I haven't worked much with serial on the Arduino platform (other than for debugging outputs). I've used mainly UDP for communication, so I'm most familiar with that.

Thanks for the information!

Chris K