my mockup ROV

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
one mere mortal

Re: my mockup ROV

Post by one mere mortal »

The new size is roughly 10" wide, 16" long, and 8" high.
2011-09-26_08-53-18_206.jpg
2011-09-26_08-53-18_206.jpg (104.62 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
Also I plan on using a stripped down version of the Anaconda camera. If the housing is too tight, I will switch out the 1 1/4" PVC coupler and use the 2" coupler. (Steve's "How To" is all you need for PVC camera housing. Brilliant!)
sc18a.jpg
sc18a.jpg (24.45 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
:) one more request.... I know this isn't the Control Info section but I have a question about the simplest joystick wiring setup. I want to use only female crimp type connectors (No Soldering) to wire the joystick, relays, and thrusters. Hoping that anyone looking at the mockup can offer words of advice. :P thanks.
derelicte

Post by derelicte »

My advice is to solder all of your connections. The extra effort of soldering a few connections far outweighs the the hassle of trying to troubleshoot a flaky connection.

Looks very nice, though.
one mere mortal

Post by one mere mortal »

:cry: Yes, I know, I have take my medicine and do the right and proper thing of evil soldering but.... did you have to respond so quick with the bad news ? I now hunt for that pesky burning iron of death with the dripping molten metal drops that always end up burning through either clothing or skin :x
SoakedinVancouver

Post by SoakedinVancouver »

Two words: Wear cotton.

Three more words: No short pants.

One more word: Practice.

Don't breathe the fumes and remember to heat the parts THEN apply the solder (electronic solder, NOT plumber stuff!). Clean the tip often, use a wet sponge or a bundle of copper or brass shaving. 25 to 45 watts iron, depending on the size of the parts to be soldered together. Only one iron? Then vary the amount of time spent heating the parts accordingly.

Have fun. Enjoy the reliability.
sthone

Post by sthone »

One other thing I didn't notice before... You might want to angle your camera downward a bit, that is if you plan on looking at the bottom without having to sit right on it. (which tends to kick up slit)

-Steve 8-)