Camera Recomendations

Our Eye's under the water.
sthone

Re: Camera Recomendations

Post by sthone »

Once you set the focus on a camera so objects (lets say 6 inches away) are in focus anything 6 inches or farther away should now be in focus. But keep in mind the field of view underwater isn't very far.

-Steve
ponynicker53

Post by ponynicker53 »

This will end up costing about $150 w/ lens and shipping, but what do you guys think of this?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... Night.html
with lens:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... Mount.html

Anyone have any experience with these types of cameras?
tanner331

Post by tanner331 »

Hi
I recommend the Security Labs SLC-137C Color Waterproof Camera. It is waterproof down to 90ft, has 65ft of cable, and is color or IR night vision.It is what I use on my ROV. I have it in a waterproof case so I can go to 100ft. I have a build log in the ROV projects section.
Here is a linkhttp://www.security-labs.com/pdf_docume ... 7C_cut.pdf
AtlanticScuba

Post by AtlanticScuba »

I was thinking of using the Sony 37CSHR, anyone know anything about it? It's not cheap but rated to 50m and has low light capability.

It's this one - http://www.cameras-cctv.com/inspection- ... te-2m-Sony - Any thoughts?
cjstepney

Post by cjstepney »

What is the best one, quality, capability and price wise? I'm looking for something that will fit in snug with my $110 camera budget, has a normal balun or RCA connection, and works really well with focus and stuff.
manhattan

Post by manhattan »

This one is great. It is slightly above your budget though with 150$.

Works with balun and 100m of twisted pair. Image is awesome.

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero-960-camera/
neilp1

Post by neilp1 »

manhattan wrote:This one is great. It is slightly above your budget though with 150$.

Works with balun and 100m of twisted pair. Image is awesome.

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero-960-camera/
Hi

What is the resolution of the composite output over the baluns? I was under the impression that it would be standard def if the composite was used. For full HD output, Id assume id need an HDMI-balun, but they generally require a whole cat5/6 cable to send the HD up the tether.

Have been looking at HD options for video feed and am very interested in the GP Hero2 paired with HDMI baluns. Particularly since it can be set to give you live feed output and also record at the same time, so I wouldnt need a separate DVR (my laptop will not run HD) to record. Not sure if both will be at HD resolution so havent pushed the button on a purchase yet.

Cheers
manhattan

Post by manhattan »

Yes, only standard def. on live feed but it doesn’t matter since its recording HD at the same time onboard and the live feed streaming through the balun I would mostly use for nav anyway. You cannot record HD (onboard) and view HD at the same time (with previous models). Don’t know with Hero2 since it has HDMI out. If I insisted to view HD on top I would consider optical cable instead of HD baluns.

I am definitively going for Hero 2 but not for the HD part but for the three different viewing angles it provides.

Best
neilp1

Post by neilp1 »

Thanks for the info. I was just in a store playing with it and could only get it outputting standard definition while recording. Like you said, standard def for navigation would be perfectly adequate anyway, so its all good. Given that, id rather buy a cheaper camera for navigation and build a housing for it rather than risk the go-pro in a diy housing. Cant use the waterproof housing if you are using the cables for outputting live feed. Id then attach the Hero2 in its own housing for onboard recording.

About the multi FOV options on the Hero2- i confirmed today that they achieve this by cropping the requisite numebr of pixels fromt he center of view. Playing in the store, once you get to about the 90 degree angle, you are out of HD and back into SD for the live view and the recording. I wasnt able to play with it extensively though, but since you arent changing the physical lens to change the FOV, you are going to lose something in terms of resolution. Having been looking at that over the past few days (im not a huge fan of the ultra-wide 170 degree fisheye) there are several 3rd party replacement lenses that will decrease the FOV while keeping the maximum amount of pixel usage. A ragecam 6mm cuts down the FOV significantly with the benefit that objects look much closer in comparison to the standard lens and gives a lot more detail close up since you are using still using the whole CCD.

Cheers
manhattan

Post by manhattan »

I received the GoPro2 yesterday and have been playing with it a bit. So far I am impressed. The lens is now a true 2.8 aperture which gives good video in low light. I also made a cool video of the city last night with the built in time-lapse function. The FOV that has been discussed earlier I have not figured out yet. They claim that they achieve this keeping the same pixel count, don’t know how that is possible though but not a big deal. I also tried “ballooning” video over composite through 100 m of 2 wire-cat5 getting perfect picture on monitor.

For a ROV I would still use the older 960 which now is sold for 149$. I have been fully satisfied with it and will not change it for this new one. The only reason I got the 2 is because I am a true sucker for gadgets. :|