No Name ROV

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Byron Jonson

Re: No Name ROV

Post by Byron Jonson »

That box looks really nice :shock: How do you plan on keeping the screen up?
Pilikia

Post by Pilikia »

Something like this, I guess . . .
Attachments
Box-LidSupport.png
Box-LidSupport.png (152.65 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
Byron Jonson

Post by Byron Jonson »

Hmm... I might have to steal this design. :twisted:
That is, you know, if you don't mind. :|
Pilikia

Post by Pilikia »

You're welcome to it! :lol:

SoakedinVancouver

Post by SoakedinVancouver »

The turtle is not swimming, and there is no coffee stains on the map, yet I am so impressed! Let's see the final product soon, eh?
Pilikia

Post by Pilikia »

SoakedinVancouver, yea, yea, yea, I'm about to pull the trigger (I think). But modeling the turtle swimming and the boat rolling enough to slosh the coffee out of the mug are good ideas too. :D

What I'm really trying to do is learn this FREE software, called SketchyPhysics, a plug-in that works with Google's FREE CAD program, SketchUp. It supposedly enables being able to apply "real" forces to virtual objects. It includes things like mass, buoyancy, viscosity, thrusters, motors, hinges, servos, to name a few maybe relevant to ROVs.

Actually, the program (SketchyPhysics, not the very stable SketchUp) seems to be in early beta, has no documentation, and is highly prone to crashing at any moment for no apparent reason. It pretty much drives me crazy! :evil: But maybe I just don't have the hang of it yet.

The attached video shows an early version of my ROV being dropped into the water, then being driven around by thrusters positioned at the propellers, which are shown spinning whenever a thruster is being used. It's not very convincing because there's no time lag between the props beginning to spin and the thrusters moving the ROV. There's probably a way to fix that, but I haven't found it yet.

Last edited by Pilikia on Aug 30th, 2011, 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

Wow, that's pretty cool. Does the software allow you to test different thruster placement and see what effect it will have on the ROV, or is it not that advanced?
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

Wow, that's pretty cool. Does the software allow you to test different thruster placement and see what effect it will have on the ROV, or is it not that advanced?
Pilikia

Post by Pilikia »

thegadgetguy,

Well, ummm, I would have to say, "yes and no." If you attach a thruster to an object, it will propel that object in a straight line in the opposite direction, even if it is located off-center on the object. Fair to say that's a weakness of the program.

But if you make two connected side-by-side objects, and attach a thruster to each object, then operating either thruster will cause the whole assemblage to travel in an arc. And if you operate one of the thrusters forward and the other in reverse it will cause the whole assemblage to spin. This is the technique I used with the pair of forward/reverse thrusters in the model. Note the "connected side-by-side objects" can be two halves of what appears to be one object.

In general, I would say the program offers a qualitative imitation of the real world. But not a precise quantitative simulation. I don't think it should be relied on to help precisely position your thrusters.
SoakedinVancouver

Post by SoakedinVancouver »

What is your PC configuration, before I try and download the software?