Sonar/Depth Sensors

Other than control. (Navigation, Sonar, Ect.)
cncmike

Sonar/Depth Sensors

Post by cncmike »

Anyone have any thoughts or way to go about Sonar or a Depth Sensor system.

I have been kinda looking and I don't know really where to start. I guess I would like to start with something similar to a fishing depth sensor system, but with my MicroController I have a couple of Analogues open that I could just use for sensors, then I could parse the data locally on the ROV and send the information back up with just an easy number to display.

That being said, do you have to use a Visual Screen with these things or can they just produce a number???

Any direction would be great.

Mike in MN
SubSea

Re: Sonar/Depth Sensors

Post by SubSea »

A fishing sonar is maby the easy and cheapest way to go, if you "reset" at serfice you can get a depht total, and then just count down as you dive. But not shure if that would work when the deapth variates.

But another option is the deapht function in divers watches, this is pressure based, and compact, maby an easyer and cheaper option if you only want deapth input ? In theory you could separate the sensor, send signal to top and use the screen there, but im no expert.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

sthone

Post by sthone »

I haven't actually read this yet... but this might be of interest.

http://seaperch.mit.edu/sensor_package/ ... V2_4_1.pdf

-Steve
cncmike

Post by cncmike »

Interesting MIT doc, saved and will read thoroughly.

Thanks,

Mike in MN
ken

Post by ken »

Not sure if this would fit some needs but I was thinking of going this route. It only has 100 ft range. http://store.humminbird.com/products/323111/AS_RSL
SoakedinVancouver

Post by SoakedinVancouver »

My plan is to use a low range pressure sensor, a la MIT. Great doc by the way, sthone, thanks for posting it. Digikey has some model fairly inexpensive.

Stephen Young
Seadragon

Post by Seadragon »

maybe a side scan sonar like the kind they tow behind a boat but mounted between the lights could be used and the card in the controller box.
Seadragon

Post by Seadragon »

as for the pressure transducer I am going to put that in the pressure comped control box on mine. The pressure will give the depth.
Dutch-depts

Post by Dutch-depts »

A pressure transmitter is also my pick. Altough when i researched it it seems that salt water reacts differently then sweet. Normally 1bar = 10 meter (love the european measurements) but in salt water it's different (won't be a differance of meters, just centimeters... but still)