Mini 3VDC Electric Motor

Anything to do with Propulsion.
AHarris

Mini 3VDC Electric Motor

Post by AHarris »

I have seen on the "HomebuiltROVs.com" website that Steve Thone uses a very small electric motor for his Stinger and an even smaller set for his Mule.
I have found a similar set of motors from Radioshack that are 1.5-3VDC and spin at a max of 8300RPM.
I am creating a small ROV (and I mean very small, something that you could carry in a rucksack (excluding tether) or carry with one hand). The ROV itself shall measure 8X6x3" and shall be fully neutral buoyant.

Do you think these motors shall be suitable for my plans? As it is a seriously small "eye ball" ROV I shall only be going to a very limited depth (of approximately 10m).

Here is a link to the ones I am currently looking at:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RadioShack-1-5- ... 213&sr=8-2

Thank you!
fluffy111

Re: Mini 3VDC Electric Motor

Post by fluffy111 »

I think they will do it. If the motor doesn't produce enough power, you shall raise the voltage to 6V or 9V.

Regards
Fluffy
AHarris

Post by AHarris »

Thanks, ordered some and hoping to get them in the next couple of days.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

The ROV that I am working on isn't that much bigger 13.5"L x 14.5" W x 7" D, and I am using 900 gph bilge motors (modified) on mine. I am building mine to go to a depth of about 200 feet. I think for an ROV of that size you might find that having a bigger motor is actually better, but the distance that you are planning to go with it they should in theory be fine.
AHarris

Post by AHarris »

Thanks for the help Paul, as always you supply lots of information and experience!
If they don't work then it won't be the end of the world as they are only £3.00 (approximately $6.00) each. Also, as they will be smaller than a bilge pump, it shouldn't be too hard to recut the hole to fit a bigger motor if it is required.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

No problem with the info, and actually when my wife and I were up in Chicago we stopped at a Radio Shack there, and I saw those same motors. Thought for a moment about picking up a bunch.