130ft is a success, 280ft....almost!

Videos of your dives.
biglakeexile

130ft is a success, 280ft....almost!

Post by biglakeexile »

Here's some recent footage of me shooting for the 300ft mark with my ROV in Lake Mead, NV. Two dives here, one which was a success to 127ft, and the second was a shot towards my 300ft goal at 280ft. See what happens...

jason howard

Re: 130ft is a success, 280ft....almost!

Post by jason howard »

sweet 280 :shock:. i thought 80' was deep. just goes to show what some homebrewed engiunity can do. small leak or not congrats
Rover

Post by Rover »

Wow... congrats.

What are you using for your bulkhead electrical connection/fitting?

Jim
GUI

Post by GUI »

IMPRESSIVE!!!!

Could you provide some photos of your rov.

I noticed you are what appears to be cat 5 or cat 6 cable for the tether. What is the other cable ?

Good Job !!!! :D
biglakeexile

Post by biglakeexile »

The cable fittings into the main enclosure are just standard cable glands, the things with the rubber seal and the plastic or steel nut that crimps down on the cable.

I have a few pics of the ROV in the section "your ROV projects section" if you want to see what it looks like, should be able to see the cable glands also.

The tether is currently made up up a mini coax(video feed), 18-2 cable(120VAC), and a thin 22gauge wire for RF transmission. Also, the grey part you might be able to see in the videos is "backer rod" from Home Depot. It's insulation normally used to fill a crack before you apply caulk. That is used as a buoyant material for the cable, but only the first 100ft of the tether. That takes the weight of the cable off the ROV for movement, etc. I think besides the leak at 280ft, that tether, it's buoyancy and how to manage it in the water etc, will be my next hurdle.
GUI

Post by GUI »

Im seriously impressed!

Keep up the good work!!!!
SoakedinVancouver

Post by SoakedinVancouver »

AWESOME!

You should have brought down a plaque and left it there!

Great work.
Alaska Rov Systems

Post by Alaska Rov Systems »

That is amazing footage! Impressive! WOW! Thats all I can say!

Alex Stuart
Alaska Rov Systems
brianatsea

Post by brianatsea »

This is impressive. I am diving in the North Atlantic, 150 ft. max. I have built the ROV frame. Can you make any recommendations for building thrusters? Bilge pumps? Did you fill them with mineral oil? I am only a novice and want to find a starting point.

Thanks,

Brian
Mareike

Post by Mareike »

Great job mate. That's the way I wanna go as well, just with a 6 props one for holding against currents at sea.. I 100m is a success the next step will be 200m. All parts I use have a warranty for 40 bar, unfortunately the sea depth around Thailand is max 200m (In reachable distance for a 15' open boat with out-boarder...) so if at 100m nothing 'implodes' is the 200m marker set.. we see us there?
absolute encouraging your vids to go for it.. ;)