Sea Floor sediment collection

Grippers, Grabbers, Cutters, Dredges, and any other Tools we can bolt on.
LBV305

Sea Floor sediment collection

Post by LBV305 »

Hi, I need to collect a sample of seafloor at 1000 feet, haw can I do it? Can I use this punp?
Attachments
sedimentremover03.jpg
sedimentremover03.jpg (489.8 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
sthone

Re: Sea Floor sediment collection

Post by sthone »

That type of dredge might work with the right kind of collection container on the output end, but not using a bilge pump. Your standard bilge pump probably wouldn't last to long at that depth, the seal at that depth would probably either leak and flood the motor (which would still work for a bit) or the added pressure on the seal at that kind of depth would exert so much pressure on the motor shaft that it wouldn't be able to turn.

There might be another way to mechanically collect a sample at that depth but is the collection device going to be mounted to an ROV or just a device on a line that can be dropped over the side of a boat ?

-Steve

BTW - Welcome to the forum :)
OCE Student

Post by OCE Student »

Sounds like you need either a grab sampler or a piston corer
http://www.rickly.com/as/bottomgrab.htm
A grab sampler gets you sample of the sediments but disturbs it. A piston corer would be fairly simple to make (its pretty much just pushing a pipe into the bottom) and both could get you a sample pretty easily
Danny

Post by Danny »

ditto to the above. but I would use some sort of inward facing flange to keep sediment from falling back out if it is loose. a piece of Pgood luck.VC could just be put on the ROV facing down, land it on the bottom, and pull up.