robotic arm

Grippers, Grabbers, Cutters, Dredges, and any other Tools we can bolt on.
jeffersonchuah

robotic arm

Post by jeffersonchuah »

hey guys, i'm trying to build an rov with a robotic arm. i was thinking to buy one and install it into my rov. http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/b696/ , i'm wondering will this arm be ok? how do i make it waterproof? please i need suggestion for the arm.
HRife

Re: robotic arm

Post by HRife »

I would say that trying to waterproof that unit would cost more than building one from scratch. I am looking to add a manipulator to my ROV and have decided on using pneumatics. You can get some pretty nice deals on Ebay for SMC actuators and such. I have a fairly large selection already and plan on doing some mockups soon.

Harold
Mareike

Post by Mareike »

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (29.98 KiB) Viewed 8659 times
have a look at that one, its cheap and works Just the magnetic couplings are a bit of an investment
shaneb24

Post by shaneb24 »

jeffersonchuah wrote:hey guys, i'm trying to build an rov with a robotic arm. i was thinking to buy one and install it into my rov. http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/b696/ , i'm wondering will this arm be ok? how do i make it waterproof? please i need suggestion for the arm.

I just received the same arm for christmas. I'm debating on water proofing it or not. I think the up front cost is cheaper to use the arm as is and have extra parts on hand. It was very easy to assemble and the kit comes with a order form for specific parts.

I suspect that the little cheap motors would then have to be replaced quite often.

In the long run the same money you put in to water proofing the arm you could almost go with water proof servos.

buying this arm and then water proofing it would be the cheapest solution but a big pain in the....

there are 4 nuts that need to be placed in ever motor box the way the box is built it would be very difficult to water proof.
Mareike

Post by Mareike »

To waterproof bolts that go through housings are Fiber/Rubber washers or O-rings the best solution.. Especially with o-rings our big brothers in the industry use them to go 3000' easily.
shaneb24

Post by shaneb24 »

I've deiced in going to use a ton of marine calk and grease
Mareike

Post by Mareike »

You were mentioning some watertight servos.. Have you got any link to it? I was looking a long time for them but no one was suitable to go 100-200 meters. By now all of my housings are approved to 60 bar, only my fiber optic tether can not go deeper as 200m, but anyway, I have to find first a spot that is deeper than 80m here in the Siam Bay.. :lol:
The design of my arm is now planned with magnetic couplings, not the cheapest solution but the safest..
Mareike
shaneb24

Post by shaneb24 »

Last edited by shaneb24 on Jan 1st, 2012, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
shaneb24

Post by shaneb24 »

this looks like a very good start to me

http://www.societyofrobots.com/actuator ... ervo.shtml

id add a coat of plasti dip or two

id guess this method will most likely get you 60M at the most

200m is quite a feet for servos.

magnetic couplings and pneumatics/hydraulics are the safest way to go at the depth.
shaneb24

Post by shaneb24 »

this is my arm
Attachments
Photo on 2012-01-04 at 12.06.jpg
Photo on 2012-01-04 at 12.06.jpg (99.39 KiB) Viewed 8487 times
Photo on 2012-01-04 at 12.07.jpg
Photo on 2012-01-04 at 12.07.jpg (89.79 KiB) Viewed 8487 times