Magnetically Coupled Thruster

Anything to do with Propulsion.
JonnoLad

Magnetically Coupled Thruster

Post by JonnoLad »

Hi,

I have designed and made my own thruster for Stingray, my ROV-in-progress. It was quite a challenge since not many people seem to have used magnetic coupling successfully. It's design was partly influenced by my manager, who suggested the idea to me. I also looked at the (very few) YouTube videos of various designs, as well as Steve's designs from the Homebuiltrovs.com main website. I used a ring-shaped prop design, with 8 neodymium magnets (north-south alternating polarity) glued in with epoxy. These lock in to the 8 corresponding magnets in the rotor, inside the main housing. One of my main concerns when designing the magnetic coupling was how much force the magnets would be able to transmit before slipping, but after a bit of trial and error, It takes a surprisingly large amount of force to cause the magnets to slip!

The main housing is PVC pipe (43mm OD), and the end caps are large dome-shaped furniture feet (with O-rings sealing the water out). A cheap brushed DC motor resides inside the main housing. the ring-shaped prop simply slides over the PVC pipe and locks on to the magnets. The prop guard and spokes slide on to the main housing in a similar fashion, securing in place firmly with two grub screws (although they fit fairly tightly without the grub screws). All of the light blue (internal) parts in the CAD pictures are 3D printed in PLA, and the dark blue (external) parts are printed in PETG.

I cheated a bit for the prop design - I used the blade profile of the Blue Robotics T100 thruster. I figured it would be a good idea to use blade profiles from someone who has qualifications in fluid dynamics!

The spoke parts also act as thrust bearings, stopping the prop from shooting off! I used a thin Teflon sheet for reducing friction between the prop, thrust bearings and the PVC pipe. This worked better than expected, and is very simple and easy to make. The prop and Teflon discs can be easily removed and cleaned/replaced in just a few minutes, which should prove useful for maintenance in the field.

The thruster makes about 250g thrust (although my testing methods were questionable, so it may be more). Obviously this can't exactly compete with professional thrusters, but I think it should be sufficient for Stingray. It only uses 0.6A at 24V. There is definitely potential for more power in the future!

I am currently in the process of printing the parts for the remaining three thrusters, then I can mount them to Stingray!

CAD Designs

The finished thruster (needs a connector wiring up and sealing the ends of the wires)

The motor housing without the prop or guard
asesorplaza1

Re: Magnetically Coupled Thruster

Post by asesorplaza1 »

Good morning.
A very nice design of engine capsule.
I hope it's really functional, given the difficulty of the magnetic coupling.
Greetings
JonnoLad

Post by JonnoLad »

Hi,

Thanks! I zip-tied the first thruster to the ROV and had it moving in the bath. It moved very well! It is very promising so far, I might set up a You Tube channel to post videos at some point

I Use OnShape web-based CAD software. For anyone that wants to have a look or use/modify the design, I have made it public. Just search for "T25 ROV Thruster" on the OnShape website. You can get a free OnShape account pretty easily.
sthone

Post by sthone »

Very cool design... I like how you incorporated the T100 prop. Until I saw your post I kind of forgot I tried to built one of these. (it was so long ago) I just reread my post to and I guess never did get the bugs worked out of my design but maybe some day I get back around to it. Great work though I'll be following this one closely it will be very interesting to see how everything comes together.

-Steve :sting:
JonnoLad

Post by JonnoLad »

Thanks Steve, Glad you approve! Fingers crossed! not bad for a first try anyway!
sthone

Post by sthone »

Also... Check out my post (viewtopic.php?t=1918) I played around a bit with printing the T100 prop too and Ian MacKenzie had a great suggestion where if you post finish the prop it might get better performance. I was thinking of maybe epoxy coating and sanding it smooth to get the best (smoother) finish. I think he might onto something and its probably be worth looking into.

-Steve :sting:
JonnoLad

Post by JonnoLad »

Yes, that might be worth a look, the surface finish isn't the greatest (I sanded them but still not exactly perfect). Thanks!
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

I'm guessing mine was one of the ones you found on Youtube. Your design looks a lot like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdjgxerAekQ

Good on you for working out some of the details. Good luck with it!
JonnoLad

Post by JonnoLad »

Yes! That's right. Did you ever get any further with that design?
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

I'm afraid not. For me it kind of comes in waves- I get interested and then something draws me away, then I come back to it. The great thing is that Steve has kept this site and community going through it all, so I can come back and catch up anytime I want.

Still haven't completed my design and of course that was several board iterations ago (Arduino and Raspberry pi) and software versions (C#) so not even sure how much of my code still works. I used to be a programmer, now I manage programmers so my skills are a little stale.

I've let my 3D printer fall into disrepair and I'm not sure if it would work if I tried to hook it up again so it's kind of daunting.
I'd like to jump back in again after this summer and try to make more progress on it. (unfortunately I have a day job and my wife and I run a small brewery we opened in 2017, so I don't have much 'hobby' time).

Good luck with your design, it looks promising. One thing I think I might have tried but didn't is doubling up or 'stacking' the magnets. Adds weight, but the additional gauss(es?- attractive force of magnets) would help when used at deeper depths. I was also thinking about trying to figure out how to gear the motors down so there is more torque and lower RPMs- for the same reason. This is the reason I put more small blades on my prop instead of fewer larger ones. I was attempting to deal with the high speed of the cheap motors I was using.