Commercially available power + ethernet cables

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
maximosipov

Commercially available power + ethernet cables

Post by maximosipov »

Hi All!

Is there a list of commercially available power + ethernet cables or maybe even a recommendation for the best one? I'm looking to power / control a 4-thrusters unit with a camera on a gimbal and probably an actuator (all Raspberry Pi managed). Depth 10-20 meters, saltwater. Power budget 20A at 12V max (I hope). Low cost obviously :)

Sincerely
Max
asesorplaza1

Re: Commercially available power + ethernet cables

Post by asesorplaza1 »

Good night
I don't know in depth the characteristics of Cat-6 cables, used in data transmission, but I don't think they're suitable for what you're trying to do. Because other than Voltios you're going to transport Amps through those cables and how thin they are, I only predict short-term frying problems. These cables are designed for the transmission of electric pulses at low intensity (milliampere).
You will need to do a thorough calculation of the consumption in Amps of your project, to verify that you can feed the ROV from the surface.
I advise you to put some batteries inside the ROV, and that by the signal cables you only send data.
Greetings.
maximosipov

Post by maximosipov »

Well, I understand quite well that I can't push enough amps through just ethernet cable - the question was are there commercial cables available already combining power + signal lines?
Oddmar

Post by Oddmar »

Delta ROV sells power/data tether. Not cheap though.

Personally i just run batteries onboard. Have to swap them out occasionally, but running power down the tether is complicated and expensive.

When the autopilot sends power to multiple thrusters at once, there is a voltage slump that can crash/reset the onboard microcontroller, amongst other things. Having batteries onboard greatly reduces the chances of that happening.

Every Hobbyist i know who tried to run power down the tether eventually ended up putting batteries onboard. Less of a headache.
maximosipov

Post by maximosipov »

Yes, thank you. Definitely will need a small battery down there to protect from voltage drops. But need a cable as well. Actually found that there is something like https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/S ... 3CAT5.html

Probably not neutral buoyancy but worth trying...
Oddmar wrote:Delta ROV sells power/data tether. Not cheap though.

Personally i just run batteries onboard. Have to swap them out occasionally, but running power down the tether is complicated and expensive.

When the autopilot sends power to multiple thrusters at once, there is a voltage slump that can crash/reset the onboard microcontroller, amongst other things. Having batteries onboard greatly reduces the chances of that happening.

Every Hobbyist i know who tried to run power down the tether eventually ended up putting batteries onboard. Less of a headache.