UUV

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
fryslan76

Re: UUV

Post by fryslan76 »

I would suggest steel, with the shape it might trigger some Navy torpedo hunters :twisted: :lol: <><
Ianth3impler

Post by Ianth3impler »

For my next AUV I am going to 3D print the body mold out of PVA and do a layup of a mix of Carbon fiber and fiberglass because I want a rounded rectangle body a cylinder is the best design. Steel and aluminum is much cheaper and you wont have to add much weight after you add the batteries and electronics. I'd like to see your progress/ build. Maybe we can help each other with code/ electronics setup.
bigbadbob

Post by bigbadbob »

A word to the wise Ian. ;)
counter rotating props will stop the body spinning in the opposite direction to the prop.
used in all AUV's I've come accross at work.
tricky to implement in a diy build but you may find you need them. :)
MarcoMota

Post by MarcoMota »

This is Amazing!!! The caps for the dry hull are resin 3D printed? Di you already test the waterproofness of the caps?

Whats the max depth that you are planning this UUV to go?

Why did you choose to use two arduino nanos? You have quite a lot of space in there. You could have used a better microcontroller with more flash memory. What is the raspberry for? Are you going to controll it via tether or will it be autonomous?

Would really love to know some more about the project since I am making a very similar one.
Ianth3impler

Post by Ianth3impler »

I've actually completely redesigned this UUV the new one is about twice the size. The PI was going to run Robot operating system and send PWM controls for the fins and motor. Ive gone in a different direction though I'm going to use a RPI running ROS and a Pixhawk. New UUV runs off of 4 12v 9AH batteries. I've got a lot done on the new one but need to get my laser CNC up and running to finish the internal mounts for the batteries and need to figure out how to fill the whole UUV with mineral oil.
Oddmar

Post by Oddmar »

Can i have the old one to mount on the roof of my truck? :twisted: