Introduction AUV project and already finished ROVs

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
MarcoMota

Introduction AUV project and already finished ROVs

Post by MarcoMota »

GoodMorning.

I am an electrical engineer student and really like underwater exploration/ ROVs/ UAVs.

I am planning to make this AUV this summer https://beobachtung3d.com/

The thing that I really like it's the modularity it provides.

These are two old ROV projects I made before learning programing or electronics so they are really basic:
https://youtu.be/tFXynEVpbBA
https://youtu.be/nRGqlnhOwNg

Both projects where inspired from the book: Build Your Own Underwater Robot and other wet projects by Harry Bohm and Vickie Jensen

Is this forum still active? are there other places more active to ask advice?

Thankyou and have a good day <><
fryslan76

Re: Introduction AUV project and already finished ROVs

Post by fryslan76 »

Hi MarcoMota,

The forum is still active but not so crowed anymore as it used to be. Looks like a fun build, getting it watertight will be an issue with printing.

Greetings,

Fryslan
asesorplaza1

Post by asesorplaza1 »

Buenas tardes.
Bien venido al foro desde España.
Que tengas buena suerte con este proyecto nuevo, ya nos iras informando de los progresos.

Un saludo.

Good afternoon.
Well come to the forum from Spain.
Good luck with this new project, you'll already be informing us of the progress.

Greetings.
MarcoMota

Post by MarcoMota »

ThankYou both! As soon as the project will make some progress I will make an update. I will probably will need some help with the ballast(yes I want to make a balalst) and for the remote controlling part. The first tests will be made with a tether. Is a normal ethernet cable enough or is it better to use a "real" tether? Do you have some suggestions of what to buy?

I came across blue robotics but they're price is pretty high: https://bluerobotics.com/store/cables-c ... -26awg-r1/

Should i make a topic about it?
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

There are multiple discussions about the Thether in that forum section. But what the best solutions is depends on your needs. Since you want to a AUV, I think cheap for a temp solutions is a big plus.
Oddmar

Post by Oddmar »

Well, if you are using the Fathom X boards for comms, 26 gauge speaker wire wound into 3-strand yellow poly rope will work as a tether. Use a drill to twist the speaker wire first, as twisted wire rejects EMI.

3-D printing is a very useful technology, but don't get fixated on it. Why print a tube that will be almost impossible to seal good enough to prevent leaks, when PVC drain pipe is readily available? Save the 3-D printing for mounts, thruster ducting, camera gimbals, etc.
MarcoMota

Post by MarcoMota »

Oddmar wrote:Well, if you are using the Fathom X boards for comms, 26 gauge speaker wire wound into 3-strand yellow poly rope will work as a tether. Use a drill to twist the speaker wire first, as twisted wire rejects EMI.

3-D printing is a very useful technology, but don't get fixated on it. Why print a tube that will be almost impossible to seal good enough to prevent leaks, when PVC drain pipe is readily available? Save the 3-D printing for mounts, thruster ducting, camera gimbals, etc.

The electronics will be in an acrilic pipe.

The 3D printed stuff is just to give it an external structure and to make it simple to add sensors and modules.

It will be made like the RC submarines for hobby <><
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing a build thread!
MarcoMota

Post by MarcoMota »

Lucas wrote:Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing a build thread!
ThankYou! I will probably make one soon ;) <><