Newbie intro

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
medemt

Newbie intro

Post by medemt »

Hello everyone. I am so new to ROVs that I can basically spell it and that's it. I saw a homebuilt ROV about a month ago, and It grabbed a hold of me right away. I have been into RC for years and my back ground is in electronics (old school type). I love to be out on the water whether it's boating fishing, scuba diving, etc. and this just seemed to fit right in. I love technology and learning new tings. I take the time to see what others have done and hopefully make changes to improve if I can (must be the engineer in me). I look forward to learning about building ROV's and also have my sites set on purchasing a commercial device if possible to maybe start an side business of some type. I have some ideas about this that I won't bore you with.

Anyway, thanks in advance to those that will have the patience and desire to help me and others learn from your expertise.

By the way, if there are any members in the Indianapolis area or surrounding counties, I sure would be interested in communicating with you.

Dan
bigbadbob

Re: Newbie intro

Post by bigbadbob »

Welcome aboard Medemt.
It's pretty quiet on here so nice to see a new face.
I'm an old school electronics eng too but I've thrown myself in at the deep end with learning arduino coding and it's much easier to change a few lines of code than redesign hardware so I'm enjoying it.
I also love being out on the water and my job is looking after AUV's, having moved on from ROV's, so my DIY build is keeping me tethered.
(sorry, bit of an in joke there. ;-))
I'll leave the scuba to you though. hahaha...
medemt

Post by medemt »

Thanks bigbadbob for the reply. It does seem a bit quite here. I would think their would be lots of folks looking at this type of, shall we say "endeavor". It fascinates me personally. I am not at all familiar with coding, but have been wanting to get more involved in learning Arduino. It seems to be a big thing in RC these days. Loved the pun by the way. I would be interested in seeing your project, so if you have a build log or site, I really would like to see it.

I sent an email to SThone asking for more info on the Seafox Retrofit. Specifically, the controller on the computer, overall schematics, how the small keyboard was interfaced, etc. Hoping I get more info on this as it really looks nice.

If you or (others) know of a really good ROV that has more info so that someone getting started could follow, I really would be interested.

Thanks again for the reply. Stay healthy and safe!

Dan
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Welcome to the forum, it is indeed a bit quiet around here now a days. But still tons of good info available. And still some posts coming through.
medemt

Post by medemt »

Thank you for the welcome.

Yes. I really hope people start to post and be available for answering questions from newbies like myself.
bigbadbob

Post by bigbadbob »

My build log here if you want to wade through ten pages of me waffling for almost ten years that my build has taken to get where it is now. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=530&start=60
medemt

Post by medemt »

I am definitely going to read the entire build. I browsed it and it looks very interesting. It is the kind of posts that can really tell a new guy a lot. Thanks for the sending me the link.

Dan
Oddmar

Post by Oddmar »

Here is my new design, not started yet. Will be about the size of a large chest freezer. I also have a design for an expandable pontoon boat for a control station. Manipulators have 9-dof.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... one-active
GCS0033.jpg
GCS0033.jpg (128.09 KiB) Viewed 6237 times
There is a guy over in Indiana somewhere that is a spelunker. He has built an ROV for exploring caves. His Facebook is...
https://www.facebook.com/lotuspetalcine ... tn__=%2Cd-]-h-R
medemt

Post by medemt »

Oddmar,

That thing looks bad A_s. You have got to get that going. I would l really like to see that build. What Cad program do you use?

Also, Thank you for the info on the guy in Indiana. I will look into it.

Dan
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

That will be a big ROV, looking forward to your build thread, your CAD skills are way better than mine. The link to the FB page did not work for me. Could you maybe post his profile name, so we can search for it?